Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Free up space

How can I transfer my photos on to iCloud to free up my space

iPhone 6s, iOS 13

Posted on Apr 26, 2020 2:23 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 26, 2020 2:35 PM

Hello Julia,

I would like provide some clarification on the iCloud service. iCloud can store backups of your iPhone. iCloud is also a synch service for your Photos, Contacts, Messages, Reminders and Notes. The purpose of a sync service is to ensure that your data remains current and in sync across all your devices logged into the same iCloud account. Whatever you delete on your device will be deleted from your iCloud account. Whatever you add to your iPhone will be added to your iCloud account.

Julia, based on the above, iCloud space is not going to free up space on your iPhone. The only way to free up space on your iPhone is to delete the data that you can part with. Media files (Photos, Videos and Music) take up the most space.

There is more information in this article by Apple ➔ About Storage on your device and in iCloud.

Axel F.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 26, 2020 2:35 PM in response to Juliabebe

Hello Julia,

I would like provide some clarification on the iCloud service. iCloud can store backups of your iPhone. iCloud is also a synch service for your Photos, Contacts, Messages, Reminders and Notes. The purpose of a sync service is to ensure that your data remains current and in sync across all your devices logged into the same iCloud account. Whatever you delete on your device will be deleted from your iCloud account. Whatever you add to your iPhone will be added to your iCloud account.

Julia, based on the above, iCloud space is not going to free up space on your iPhone. The only way to free up space on your iPhone is to delete the data that you can part with. Media files (Photos, Videos and Music) take up the most space.

There is more information in this article by Apple ➔ About Storage on your device and in iCloud.

Axel F.

Apr 26, 2020 2:43 PM in response to Axel Foley

Axel, iCloud can in fact free up space on an iPhone.

See the following from the article you linked About storage on your device and in iCloud - Apple Support

You can make storage space available on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch when you use iCloud Photos and turn on Optimize Storage.

Also see the following from Manage your photo and video storage - Apple Support

Your photos and videos are stored on your device in their original, high-resolution version. This means that they use a lot of space on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. With iCloud Photos, you can make more space available on your device and have your entire collection, everywhere you go.

Apr 26, 2020 3:00 PM in response to FoxFifth

FoxFifth, Yes you are right by way of optimization of storage space on the iPhone. I know it works. I use it effectively.

I wanted to stress to OP that iCloud storage cannot be used as a separate (external) storage entity and focus on the sync aspects of it. In the end You are Right. The question from OP is, " How can I transfer my photos on to iCloud to free up my space?" Syncing the photos to iCloud and choosing Optimize Storage will accomplish just that. I am onboard. Thank You!

Axel F.

Free up space

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.