You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

TimeMachine says 'Back up xxGB' not 'Backing up xx of yy'

When Time Machine is making a backup, it normally says 'Backing up xx of yy' so I know how far it has got through the backup, and when xx is the same as yy it goes on to cleaning up. Typically xx and yy are a few MB to a handful of GB.

Now the message is 'Backed up 9.48GB' and the number just keeps increasing. If I choose Skip this backup, then start again, it always restarts at that large number. It's as though TimeMachine is storing the backup ready to commit. I can hear the TimeMachine disk working, so I know something is going over to it, but it never completes. It says the last backup was completed 2 days ago, and I have not changed much since then, so the number is excessive.

MacBook Pro 15", macOS 10.15

Posted on Apr 26, 2020 4:14 PM

Similar questions

4 replies

May 2, 2020 2:12 AM in response to AndrewCSP

The saga continues. After a few successful backups, Time Machine has now said it is going to re-build the backup (can't quote the exact words) but nothing will be lost. That's OK, but it involves backing up 338 GB onto a disk with only 396 GB available (out of 1TB).

It has spent half a day connected so far and managed 16 GB, so it might take 10 days, and in that time it says no new backups will be performed.

This is my laptop which is not on all the time, gets moved away from its link to the Time Machine disk, and often runs low on power.

May 3, 2020 9:29 AM in response to AndrewCSP

What a saga. It has now done nearly half of the Backup, because I have switched to wired ethernet for faster transfer whilst connected.

BUT, I have lost all my previous backups and can't now go back in Time Machine.

So it seems that phrasing 'Back up xx GB' instead of 'Backing up xx GB of yy GB' was a precursor to losing all my history.

If I had known that I could perhaps have taken different action to preserve the history.

TimeMachine says 'Back up xxGB' not 'Backing up xx of yy'

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.