Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Gmail not working on laptop with mail icon

My gmail account is working on my phone but not on my laptop - please advise!

MacBook Air 13", OS X 10.11

Posted on Apr 26, 2020 9:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 27, 2020 6:56 AM

koalabear2 Said:

HOW do I remove my mail account and then add it back after restarting my computer?

———-

App Password:

Add it back by signing in with an App Password, rather than your regular password.

You are using Mail, correct?

Go Here: Add or remove email accounts in Mail on Mac - Apple Support. View these to sections:

• Remove an email account
  • Add an email account

You would add it by signing in with and with an App Password. Go here: Sign in using App Passwords - Google Account Help

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 27, 2020 6:56 AM in response to koalabear2

koalabear2 Said:

HOW do I remove my mail account and then add it back after restarting my computer?

———-

App Password:

Add it back by signing in with an App Password, rather than your regular password.

You are using Mail, correct?

Go Here: Add or remove email accounts in Mail on Mac - Apple Support. View these to sections:

• Remove an email account
  • Add an email account

You would add it by signing in with and with an App Password. Go here: Sign in using App Passwords - Google Account Help

Apr 26, 2020 10:26 PM in response to koalabear2

koalabear2 Said:

"Yes I did do a software update just before my mail stopped working!"

-------

Restart then Add Gmail:

Then, I would suspect that would be why this is occurring.

So, restart your Mac, having just installed the update. See if this now works. If not, remove, then add back the Gmail account, using an App Password, as I mentioned above.

Apr 26, 2020 10:15 PM in response to koalabear2

koalabear2 Said:

"Gmail not working on laptop with mail icon: My Gmail account is working on my phone but not on my laptop - please advise!"

-------

App Password:

Have you made recent any changes to your computer (Software Installations? Updates? Log Ins? and Log Outs?).

Go here: Sign in using App Passwords - Google Account Help

For Note: if the Gmail account is already added to Mail, then remove the Gmail account, restart the Mac, adding it back with the App Password once restarted.

Gmail not working on laptop with mail icon

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.