Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How long does the old back up normally take to copy from an old Time Machine to a new one?

How long does the old back up normally take to copy? Mines been going for 16 hours and is still preparing to copy; currently up to 291,282 items. The back up is mainly for iTunes, and the total is 2.4TB. Although I am copying from a fairly new 3TB hard drive to a brand new 4TB hard drive, the Mac I’m using to do it via, is a very old, slow 2008/9 model. Could it be this causing the hold up? Thanks

iMac, OS X 10.10

Posted on Apr 27, 2020 4:26 AM

Similar questions

3 replies

Apr 27, 2020 11:38 PM in response to BDAqua

Thanks BDAqua. Through looking at other threads, and doing the maths for my equivalent and number of items/files, it seemed the time it would take to ‘copy’ form one drive to another in this way would have been over 19 days! So I stopped that and started to clone one drive to the other using disk utility, and after an initial estimation of 5 days, it went down to just over 1.5 days, and seems to be on target with this time frame - fingers crossed. So cloning is definitely a better option than copying!

How long does the old back up normally take to copy from an old Time Machine to a new one?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.