Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Remove package using terminal on Mac

I installed a package (asciiart) a while ago but it appears that it did not install properly or is currently not working due to updates. Even the help command doesn't appear to be working:

$ asciiart -h
Traceback (most recent call last):
	13: from /usr/local/bin/asciiart:23:in `<main>'
	12: from /usr/local/bin/asciiart:23:in `load'
	11: from /Library/Ruby/Gems/2.6.0/gems/rasciiart-0.0.9/bin/asciiart:3:in `<top (required)>'
	10: from /System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/2.6/usr/lib/ruby/2.6.0/rubygems/core_ext/kernel_require.rb:54:in `require'
	 9: from /System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/2.6/usr/lib/ruby/2.6.0/rubygems/core_ext/kernel_require.rb:54:in `require'
	 8: from /Library/Ruby/Gems/2.6.0/gems/rasciiart-0.0.9/lib/asciiart.rb:2:in `<top (required)>'
	 7: from /System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/2.6/usr/lib/ruby/2.6.0/rubygems/core_ext/kernel_require.rb:54:in `require'
	 6: from /System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/2.6/usr/lib/ruby/2.6.0/rubygems/core_ext/kernel_require.rb:54:in `require'
	 5: from /Library/Ruby/Gems/2.6.0/gems/rmagick-2.15.4/lib/RMagick.rb:1:in `<top (required)>'
	 4: from /System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/2.6/usr/lib/ruby/2.6.0/rubygems/core_ext/kernel_require.rb:54:in `require'
	 3: from /System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/2.6/usr/lib/ruby/2.6.0/rubygems/core_ext/kernel_require.rb:54:in `require'
	 2: from /Library/Ruby/Gems/2.6.0/gems/rmagick-2.15.4/lib/rmagick_internal.rb:12:in `<top (required)>'
	 1: from /System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/2.6/usr/lib/ruby/2.6.0/rubygems/core_ext/kernel_require.rb:54:in `require'
/System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/2.6/usr/lib/ruby/2.6.0/rubygems/core_ext/kernel_require.rb:54:in `require': This installation of RMagick was configured with ImageMagick 6.9.10 but ImageMagick 6.9.11-7 is in use. (RuntimeError)

I believe I might have installed the package using chmod from a .tar.gz file that I downloaded.

I couldn't find any documentation to remove this package. Is it possible to remove this package so that the `asciiart` command will not be recognized (i.e. I will get the standard `-bash: asciiart: command not found` error message instead)?

MacBook Pro 16", macOS 10.15

Posted on Apr 27, 2020 5:44 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 27, 2020 6:40 AM

Installing anything into the operating system's Ruby gem is asking for trouble, and doubly so when the Ruby gem (rasciiart) has not been updated since 2015 and only expects Ruby 1.9. It would appear that you have the Ruby interface to ImageMagick (rmagick) installed too — probably as a dependency of rasciiart.

You can try to remove the rasciiart gem:

gem help uninstall
sudo gem uninstall rasciiart

This is unlikely to clean up the /usr/local/bin/asciiart tool, or any associated data that it installed in that /usr/local tree. If that tar bundle included an installer, I would look inside that script to see where it is shoving files too.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 27, 2020 6:40 AM in response to nishan_cm

Installing anything into the operating system's Ruby gem is asking for trouble, and doubly so when the Ruby gem (rasciiart) has not been updated since 2015 and only expects Ruby 1.9. It would appear that you have the Ruby interface to ImageMagick (rmagick) installed too — probably as a dependency of rasciiart.

You can try to remove the rasciiart gem:

gem help uninstall
sudo gem uninstall rasciiart

This is unlikely to clean up the /usr/local/bin/asciiart tool, or any associated data that it installed in that /usr/local tree. If that tar bundle included an installer, I would look inside that script to see where it is shoving files too.

Remove package using terminal on Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.