Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to get my icloud passwords back in an easy way without an apple device?

My iphone died and I purchased an android phone.. now I want access to my password in icloud keychain. How do i do that without buying a new apple device?

Also if I get an apple device how do I get my passwords out in an easy way?

I looked into this before and it sees like you can not get them on a list because the menu is made so you can only see one oassword at a time?

With more than 300 passwords in my keychain it would take forever.

Do anyone have an easy way to get the passwords back?

Posted on Apr 27, 2020 6:30 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 27, 2020 7:55 AM

In an iPhone the keychain box can only be turned on https://support.apple.com/en-in/guide/iphone/iph82d6721b2/ios , the passwords are not saved as there is no keychain access just like a Mac , as data base of iPhone is very less compared to Mac .

You can't set up iCloud ( sign in with Apple ID and password ) in an android phone as they are not compatible .

The passwords were never saved in an iPhone , only keychain box was synced so can't be recovered .

Even you purchase a new iPhone it can only be signed in with Apple ID and password and the in the same way only keychain box has to be checked .

15 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 27, 2020 7:55 AM in response to Silverstone78

In an iPhone the keychain box can only be turned on https://support.apple.com/en-in/guide/iphone/iph82d6721b2/ios , the passwords are not saved as there is no keychain access just like a Mac , as data base of iPhone is very less compared to Mac .

You can't set up iCloud ( sign in with Apple ID and password ) in an android phone as they are not compatible .

The passwords were never saved in an iPhone , only keychain box was synced so can't be recovered .

Even you purchase a new iPhone it can only be signed in with Apple ID and password and the in the same way only keychain box has to be checked .

Apr 29, 2020 6:28 PM in response to tygb

I did contact apple and the answer was... buy an apple device we can not help you.

Thing is I am more or less stuck in Vietnam half a world away from my homecountry.

When you travel it is very difficult to contact apple and in my case unless I want to pay 11$ a minute.

There used to be a chat option and I spend days trying out different support options in hope it lead to a chat and not phone support (different problems can result in different contact methods) but I did not manage to get a chat option.

Thing is my own country phone subscription i put on hold because I travel for so long.

I managed to find a way through twitter since I ended up having 3 apple devices fail on me.. I am working on the warranty support on airpods through twitter when I end up with this password problem I mention it ind the twitter chat with them and the send back litteraly “buy and apple device or no passwords followed about some “get a lawyer mumbo jumbo” and then silence!!! .....so now I am not even able to do support on the airpods.

I ended up having to use harsh words as “EU Commission” and “GPDR”.

Even if you have access to your phone number getting hold of actual apple support leads to many dead ends if you do not have any device within warranty

My homecountry is very digital so passwords for, government, bank, payment services, doctor, medicine, travel insurrance, communication, travel bookings etc etc. are now being held “hostage” by apple while I sit here.

Apr 29, 2020 6:59 PM in response to tygb

There should be a view password option in icloud used in any browser... and there still would be many ways to secure that.

Buying a mac, iphone or ipad should not be the option to get your passwords and there should be huge warnings before you start to use keychain (even it will not help because not many see 3 years into the future when it comes to phone)

And I bet if you ask any normal apple user they would be negatively surprised if they ended up having to go from apple to android.

As I remember you were asked again and again to use the keychain on my apple device untill i finally caved.

Apr 28, 2020 9:48 AM in response to Silverstone78

I got reply from apple support that unless I use an apple device I can not get access to my passwords. In other words i was told to buy an iphone if I want my passwords back. similar to “ransomware” but i stead of 500€ I have to buy an apple device

Passwords would be your data and you are responsible for backing up your data safely. If you chose to have your data in only one place and you lost access to that one place, that's on you.

Apple takes security very seriously and making your password data available outside of the Apple system would compromise that security.

Apr 29, 2020 6:40 PM in response to Silverstone78

Storing the passwords using third party apps might not be secured , I have a Mac and set up iCloud Keychain , autofill is turned as on in safari preferences see this https://support.apple.com/en-gb/guide/mac-help/mchlf375f392/10.14/mac/10.14

there is one more way create secure notes in keychain access https://support.apple.com/en-in/guide/keychain-access/kyca2268/mac

https://support.apple.com/en-in/guide/keychain-access/kyca1085/mac

Storing few passwords like 10 to 15 passwords is feasible , creating 300 secured notes is time taking , the method you are describing I never tried are you saving the passwords in normal notes and locking them in Mac .

Either write down passwords using pen and paper - that is also time taking , I had few passwords approximately 10 or 12 but 300 passwords for what reason .

Androids phone can't be signed in with Apple ID and password , and their function is different than apple devices , people use them but this forum is meant for apple products , the advisor in apple support will give answers for apple products and will not reply for android phones .

Apr 30, 2020 12:27 AM in response to Silverstone78

For many websites is they are browsed a prompt appears would you like to save passwords ( a ) trust , allow or don't trust .

If the websites are secure you click on trust and the passwords are saved in keychain access , after few days you again browse that website you don't need to again fill up the password , but that is for Mac .

Yes users view different websites and they are new or may be not viewed previously see the article https://support.apple.com/en-in/guide/safari/sfri40697/mac

Apr 29, 2020 5:46 PM in response to LACAllen

It is called “Icloud” keychain and I pay around 10$ a month for that “icloud”... I thought my passwords was backed up.

To back up your passwords even further the easiest way would be to get a mac.

Lets say you have 300 passwords in keychain the procedure would be:

-Open notes and keychain on mac.

-copy name of app or site and paste to notes.

-copy username and paste to notes.

-click show password

-enter pin for mac

-copy the password and paste to notes.

all this 300 times!!!

If you like me loose your phone or it breakes and you decide your next phone will be an android... you are lost. no way to access your passwords without an apple device.

I just purchased a new phone and now I have to purchase an iphone, ipad or mac to get my passwords!!!

That is not okay.

I can not see any reason for it only to be accessed on an apple device.

There are many password managers and you can access them from any device....but not with apples keychain.

How to get my icloud passwords back in an easy way without an apple device?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.