Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Disk utility for erasing and reinstalling catalina

Hi I need desperate help

I had some issues between logic pro x and my external hard drive and I was trying to look for some solutions but couldn't find anything so I decided to reset my MacBook air and since Im a first time user for apple products, when I went into recovery mode and erased my hard drive (which I thought was "Macintosh HD") I freaked out because I thought I have deleted my mac Catalina Operating System. do I read a forum about this is issue and some had the same problem.

I read the post and Justin (who is one of your helpers) said to click view then show all devices. I then have got a set of icons with names that display

• APPLE SSD AP0128N Media
  • Container disk 2
  • Macintosh HD
  • Macintosh HD - Data

Here comes the question

if I erase the APPLE SSD AP0... Will this delete my disk iso of mac os catalina

Please help, I would appreciate it.

MacBook Air 13", macOS 10.15

Posted on Apr 27, 2020 7:16 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 27, 2020 7:33 PM

but im worried that I deleted my installation of the os

Isn't that what you want to do?

I don't need a video.

To "reset" your Mac, Remove the Macintosh HD - Data volume, then Reinstall the OS.

If you removed the Macintosh HD volume, then you've removed the OS. I don't know how the installer will respond. You may have to create a new Macintosh HD volume, then reinstall the OS.

Here are the steps to accomplish what you want to do:

How to erase a disk for Mac - Apple Support

Similar questions

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 27, 2020 7:33 PM in response to Hayden-Jury

but im worried that I deleted my installation of the os

Isn't that what you want to do?

I don't need a video.

To "reset" your Mac, Remove the Macintosh HD - Data volume, then Reinstall the OS.

If you removed the Macintosh HD volume, then you've removed the OS. I don't know how the installer will respond. You may have to create a new Macintosh HD volume, then reinstall the OS.

Here are the steps to accomplish what you want to do:

How to erase a disk for Mac - Apple Support

Apr 27, 2020 4:15 PM in response to Barney-15E

Hi again,

So my disk image (iso) is what it shows on my MacBook:

Disk images - as a sub heading

Apple disk image media - 2.14 gb which can be ejected

then macOS Base system - 2.01 gb, Disk image volume - Mac OS Extended

NOTE: this is in the disk utility under the view show all devices

I knew the consiquneces about this so I move my important files to a external HD and just wanted the refresh, when I did erase the Macintosh HD section of the APPLE SSD.... I did look back in it and it says that 33kb is being used and 107.15 gb is being used of other volumes.

This is what freaked me out apart from the OS being deleted.

If need photos or videos I can provide that to you if you can send me you email im fine with that

ps. I do apologize about the lack of details.

MacBook Air 2019

8 gb ram

128 ssd storage

Intel i5 processor

13.3 inch

Disk utility for erasing and reinstalling catalina

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.