Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sending and receiving Messages on my iPad

I am unable to send or receive messages on my ipad

iPad mini, iPadOS 13

Posted on Apr 27, 2020 7:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 27, 2020 8:55 AM

Is this difficulty isolated to SMS/MMS text messages (green bubbles), or all messages including iMessage (blue bubbles)?

Your iPad can only send/receive SMS/MMS text messages if they are relayed via an iPhone. SMS/MMS messaging requires access to Cellular Carrier services not natively supported by iPad.

If you don’t have an iPhone, you can only send iMessages between Apple devices. As the iPad does not have access Cellular text services, without an iPhone, it cannot alone send SMS/MMS messages.

If you do have an iPhone, in Settings of the iPhone:

Settings > Messages > Text Message Forwarding - set to ON

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 27, 2020 8:55 AM in response to Lucysolomon

Is this difficulty isolated to SMS/MMS text messages (green bubbles), or all messages including iMessage (blue bubbles)?

Your iPad can only send/receive SMS/MMS text messages if they are relayed via an iPhone. SMS/MMS messaging requires access to Cellular Carrier services not natively supported by iPad.

If you don’t have an iPhone, you can only send iMessages between Apple devices. As the iPad does not have access Cellular text services, without an iPhone, it cannot alone send SMS/MMS messages.

If you do have an iPhone, in Settings of the iPhone:

Settings > Messages > Text Message Forwarding - set to ON

Sending and receiving Messages on my iPad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.