Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to remove Malware

Hi - How do I get rid of malware on my MacBook Air? It seems to reroute my web searches to a different browser, and I have already tried Combo Cleaner and Total AV. The malware will not let me try the traditional methods of deleting its presence through the settings option because it has my search engine permanently changed. Here is its keyword: lkysearchds2884-a.akamaihd.net

Any thoughts? Thanks so much.

MacBook Air 13", macOS 10.14

Posted on Apr 27, 2020 2:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 27, 2020 2:18 PM

You may be encountering some kind of adware. It is possible that you unintentionally downloaded a malicious extension causing your Safari browser to be redirected to that website. 

To remove this follow the simple steps provided below: 

1. Check your System Preferences if there is a created Profile. 

Note: If you don't remember setting up any profiles for your mac, we would advise to remove these created profile. 

1. Click on Profiles and it will open the list of configuration then you may delete all of them. 
  2. After removing all the configuration profile, it will ask you for your password to allow the changes. Type it in. 
  3. Please try to restart your mac. 
  4. After the restart, check your Safari's preferences if you can now modify its default settings and check if the adware still exists. 

Hope it helps! 

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 27, 2020 2:18 PM in response to SarahKChicago

You may be encountering some kind of adware. It is possible that you unintentionally downloaded a malicious extension causing your Safari browser to be redirected to that website. 

To remove this follow the simple steps provided below: 

1. Check your System Preferences if there is a created Profile. 

Note: If you don't remember setting up any profiles for your mac, we would advise to remove these created profile. 

1. Click on Profiles and it will open the list of configuration then you may delete all of them. 
  2. After removing all the configuration profile, it will ask you for your password to allow the changes. Type it in. 
  3. Please try to restart your mac. 
  4. After the restart, check your Safari's preferences if you can now modify its default settings and check if the adware still exists. 

Hope it helps! 

How to remove Malware

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.