Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Connecting my MacBook to a monitor

Hi guys,

I have a 12 inch MacBook from early 2015 (only one usb c output) and my screen has recently stopped working. I’m unable to take it in for repair at the moment so I’m trying to find an alternative.

I tried connecting it to our home TV plugging a HDMI cable into the TV and using a HDMI to USB C converter for my laptop and it works fine.

I can’t however work at the TV so I borrowed a smaller monitor from a friend. When I plug in the HDMI to the new monitor and the USB C to my laptop the same way I did with our TV, I can only see my background picture. No icons or anything to work with.

Please help, I’m desperate!

Posted on Apr 28, 2020 1:30 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 28, 2020 1:37 AM

The issue of no icons appearing will be due to it being a secondary display. In System Preferences > Displays you can choose how your MacBook treats connected displays, either as a secondary display or mirroring the display of your MacBook.

See Use external monitors with your Mac – Apple Support for more help.

1 reply

Connecting my MacBook to a monitor

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.