Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Solved: Fix for "Apple Pay has been disabled because the security settings of this Mac were modified".

Just thought this may help others with this issue. I just bought my new 16" MacBook Pro and was having difficulty setting up Apple Pay on this laptop and got this message : Apple Pay has been disabled because the security settings of this Mac were modified. I checked all the security settings and all were as suggested but after hours of searching for an answer I decided to go to Software Update/Advanced and uncheck the recheck "Install system data files and security updates". Next time I went to Wallet and clicked the box both my credit cards loaded and now I have successfully set up my Apple Pay. Has anyone else tried this? It certainly worked for me

MacBook Pro with Touch Bar

Posted on Apr 28, 2020 2:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 27, 2021 4:56 AM

Not sure if you have managed to resolve this since posting this, but I've had the same issue, nothing would resolve this issue. To save you spending hours on the phone like I did follow these steps

1. Ensure that your 'FIND MY' is turned off on your Mac
  2. Turn your Mac off
  3. Turn Mac back on and just before the apple logo appears hold 'COMMAND' and 'R'
  4. This will take you to the MacOS Recovery screen
  5. Log in to your account when it appears
  6. Once logged on, go to the very top bar and select utilities
  7. Click the startup security utility
  8. This should then ask you for an administrators password, just your log in password as normal.
  9. If your 'FIND MY' isn't turned off you won't be able to enter administrator's password
  10. Once you are on that you need to select the highest security setting.
  11. It will then give you a box to restart your Mac
  12. Turn it back on as normal and try from there

Hopefully this will resolve it for you. I purchased my Mac secondhand and the previous owner had the security settings set to 'none', causing me the issues with adding my card.

59 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 27, 2021 4:56 AM in response to Dylan1205

Not sure if you have managed to resolve this since posting this, but I've had the same issue, nothing would resolve this issue. To save you spending hours on the phone like I did follow these steps

1. Ensure that your 'FIND MY' is turned off on your Mac
  2. Turn your Mac off
  3. Turn Mac back on and just before the apple logo appears hold 'COMMAND' and 'R'
  4. This will take you to the MacOS Recovery screen
  5. Log in to your account when it appears
  6. Once logged on, go to the very top bar and select utilities
  7. Click the startup security utility
  8. This should then ask you for an administrators password, just your log in password as normal.
  9. If your 'FIND MY' isn't turned off you won't be able to enter administrator's password
  10. Once you are on that you need to select the highest security setting.
  11. It will then give you a box to restart your Mac
  12. Turn it back on as normal and try from there

Hopefully this will resolve it for you. I purchased my Mac secondhand and the previous owner had the security settings set to 'none', causing me the issues with adding my card.

Jan 10, 2021 10:54 AM in response to charly259

A restart was necessary for me as well. To be perfectly clear, here’s what I did:

• Open System Prefs → Software Update
  • Click Advanced…
  • Uncheck “Install system data files and security updates“ (all others checked)
  • A dialog appears asking me to authorize w/Touch ID; do that
  • Reboot
  • System Prefs → Software Update → Advanced… again
  • Recheck “Install system data files and security updates“ (all others still checked)
  • Go to System Prefs → Wallet & Apple Pay
  • Previously authorized cards now available again

Oct 9, 2020 2:16 PM in response to Mickp58

This worked for me as well. For me, though, the setting was disabled for some reason. I expect it might be due to the fact that I bought a new 16" MBP, and my old 15" 2015 MBP did not have the T2 security chip (or whatever it's called). So, if anyone is upgrading from an older model like me, you might find yourself in a similar situation.

Thanks for the tip, I would not have thought to look there!

Jun 9, 2020 4:41 PM in response to philoSurfer

I had "Install system data files and security updates" on my previous MacBook, and I guess that setting got transferred to my new MacBook. I had Apple Pay working on the old MacBook just fine, however, even with that option unchecked.

This thread was great for giving me the hint to try this Software Update setting, because the page that Apple links you to when Apple Pay is disallowed says nothing about this issue, and I never would have guessed to try "Install system data files and security updates" otherwise.

Perhaps its just a matter of whether it's checked at the time you add credit cards to your Mac, and then you can turn it off later and you'll still be okay?

While I like to keep MacOS up-to-date, I only want automatic downloads and notifications — I definitely don't like any setup that automatically shuts down and reboots my system when I might have been in the middle of something I don't want interrupted.

May 18, 2021 3:59 PM in response to Mickp58

Thanks!!! I've been looking everywhere to figure this out. That box was unchecked on my Mac. So I checked it and went back to Wallet, clicked Add Card, and - voila - all my cards from my iPhone magically appeared. I was able to setup them up after verifying each. Apple Support did not even provide this resolution!

Thanks so much...

Solved: Fix for "Apple Pay has been disabled because the security settings of this Mac were modified".

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.