Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Old iPod touch - Recovery Key for iCloud login

Hi, I have an older model of iPod touch with iOS 5.1.1 and I am trying to login to my iCloud to get some music across from my iTunes library which I am using on my iPhoneX and iPad 5th Gen, but I can not get pass the second level of security as it is keep asking me to type in my old iPod Recovery Key (RK-) which I have no idea where I can get it.

When I am trying to get to my iCloud login on my iPod it is asking me first to use my Cloud login password, when I punch it in, which is absolute correct, then I am getting on my other devices security code to punch on my iPod but I can not pass this stage as when I press next it comes back to my iCloud login password and asking me for RK- Recovery Key. Can you let me know how I can get through this step and login to my iCloud on the old iPod, thanks.

Regards, Mark

[Image Edited by Moderator to Remove Personal Information]

Posted on Apr 28, 2020 6:07 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 27, 2020 4:23 AM

I’ve just had this issue and found a work around :)

“But 2FA and outdated versions of Apple TV, iOS, and macOS don’t mix. You try to log in on those devices with your Apple ID and popups with codes may appear on other devices, but there’s no way to enter it on the piece of equipment from which you’re trying to log in.

Fortunately, there’s a simple workaround:

1. Log in with your Apple ID and password as normal.
  2. Get the six-digit authentication code from one of your trusted devices associated with the Apple ID.
  3. Back on the original device, log in again, but this time add the six-digit code at the end of the password. (Don’t put a space or anything else between the password or after the code.)”

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 27, 2020 4:23 AM in response to Maras2001

I’ve just had this issue and found a work around :)

“But 2FA and outdated versions of Apple TV, iOS, and macOS don’t mix. You try to log in on those devices with your Apple ID and popups with codes may appear on other devices, but there’s no way to enter it on the piece of equipment from which you’re trying to log in.

Fortunately, there’s a simple workaround:

1. Log in with your Apple ID and password as normal.
  2. Get the six-digit authentication code from one of your trusted devices associated with the Apple ID.
  3. Back on the original device, log in again, but this time add the six-digit code at the end of the password. (Don’t put a space or anything else between the password or after the code.)”

Apr 29, 2020 6:20 AM in response to QuickPost

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. However, my iPod was registered a long time ago and I have no idea where I could have this RK number, is there any other way I could get on to iCloud account with my old iPod touch ?.

I really need this for my iTunes music subscription, it would be so easy for me to have it on my iPod, can you please help with this, thanks.

Regards,

Mark

May 1, 2020 10:18 PM in response to Maras2001

Hi there,

Do you have any answers for me regarding this issue, I have send another email with this question and I am really desperate to get this solved, please.

Below is my second email to Apple Support Community.

"Hi,

I have send an email to Apple Support asking how I can access my iCloud account on my old iPod touch with iOS 5.1.1. I do not remember my recovery key (RK) numbers. I have an account with Apple and have this unit registered in my account, however I can not get the iCloud music access on my old iPod to all my music on iTunes, I can only get the music which is ripped to the library and is stored on my laptop.

Is there any chance I can get pass this RK and be able to use all my iTunes music, which is on my laptop as well as the iClud music, please HELP.

Initially I was told that if I do not have the RK I will NOT be able to get this thru this security step but I am sure there is a way to resolve this."

Regards, Mark

May 2, 2020 5:50 PM in response to QuickPost

Actually no, according to Apple. You can still go to appleid.apple.com, login, go to Security and there should be a link to Get a Recovery Key. At least that is what is supposed to happen according to the Apple approved advice on the support page. The problem is that if the computer you are using to go your Apple account is relatively modern, it is using two-factor verification, and if so, the "Get a Recovery Key" link is not there cuz, of course, that is not a part of two factor authentication. So I thought maybe I need to log in to my Apple Account on the old First Generation iPad I am trying to authenticate (I use it to store PDFs of sheet music). Seeing that I was logging via an older device, it would give me the Get a Recovery Key link and it would send the link to any device that I could authenticate using two factor authentication. BUT - the appleid.apple.com web page uses Javascript, which the first generation iPad does not support. So I can't log in.

Old iPod touch - Recovery Key for iCloud login

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.