Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problems on start up

I have a imac early 2009. Yesterday it shut down on its own for what looked like an update (don't know as I was in the other room and just heard the startup sound). As it attempted to startup, the screen showed the apple and progress bar, then went to all static. Several min later it displayed the lock screen but all of the graphics, app icons, mouse cursor etc were corrupted. I was once able to sign in past the lock screen to a user but although the background image was fine all other graphics were corrupted and I could not click on anything. The computer was completely frozen at that point. I have attempted Safe Mode but cannot get that to work. Any suggestions??? If it is toast, is there any way to get the data off of it? Starting to panic a bit. Thanks!!

iMac 27", macOS 10.13

Posted on Apr 28, 2020 7:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 28, 2020 8:40 AM

Do you have a backup? (Time Machine or a Clone on an External Drive can save a lot of panic and pain)

Do you have another Mac? (You might be able to recover your data in Target Disk Mode if the drive is OK)

For some CPR steps,

1. Reset the SMC > How to reset the SMC of your Mac - Apple Support
  2. Reset the NVRAM > Reset NVRAM or PRAM on your Mac - Apple Support
  3. Use Safe Mode > How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support
  4. Startup from your original gray disc #1 or a Snow Leopard Upgrade DVD and run First Aid on the Macintosh HD.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 28, 2020 8:40 AM in response to thueter

Do you have a backup? (Time Machine or a Clone on an External Drive can save a lot of panic and pain)

Do you have another Mac? (You might be able to recover your data in Target Disk Mode if the drive is OK)

For some CPR steps,

1. Reset the SMC > How to reset the SMC of your Mac - Apple Support
  2. Reset the NVRAM > Reset NVRAM or PRAM on your Mac - Apple Support
  3. Use Safe Mode > How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support
  4. Startup from your original gray disc #1 or a Snow Leopard Upgrade DVD and run First Aid on the Macintosh HD.

Problems on start up

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.