Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

family sharing

I want to set up family sharing. It tells me I need to add a payment method but I already have one. It is a gift card with about $25. What do I need to do?

iPhone 6

Posted on Apr 28, 2020 12:00 PM

4 replies

Apr 28, 2020 12:15 PM in response to neonwhite398

What kind of gift card? There is an Apple Store gift card that can ONLY be used for Apple hardware and accessories. There is also an App Store & iTunes Gift Card that can be used for the purchase of goods and services on the iTunes Store, Apple Books, Apple Music, and the App Store (this is the one you want).

What type of gift card do I have? - Apple Support

The other problem might be, as said here:

Redeem App Store & iTunes Gift Cards and content codes - Apple Support

"You can’t use your credit to buy gifts for someone else or buy more gift cards. You also can’t share credit with family members, even if you use Family Sharing."

Apr 28, 2020 12:32 PM in response to javaliga

It is an App Store type of gift card which I added to my apple ID account. But that does not seems to count when trying to set up family sharing. So I added a credit card number. I don't like doing that because I have been caught before by subscription fees that I was unaware of. Which is why I prefer to limit my exposure with a fixed amount gift card. Anyway for now I am all set but Apple does not make it easy.

family sharing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.