Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bootcamp issues on imac pro high sierra mid 2010s

I have been trying to install windows on my iMac for the past 13 hours and nothing is working I have tried every video. Right now I am using the usb method, unfortunately I get a utility disk error on bootcamp right when it asks me to partition my internal drive. It's driving me crazy. Is bootcamp the only way I can install windows? Please help.

Posted on Apr 28, 2020 12:07 PM

11 replies

Apr 29, 2020 9:19 AM in response to Loner T

Hi, I'm sure your solution will work for everyone else but my Mac is scuffed. I finally figured out how to use the bootable usb. I booted windows 8.1 typed in the licence key etc but it did not let me partition my drive. I then watched many tutorials on how to partition a windows format drive etc but it simply will not work I get every error message under the sun. I will have to send my mac into a store when possible :(

Apr 29, 2020 8:28 PM in response to Loner T

I'm getting this error on Bootcamp: ''Your disk could not be partitioned. An error occurred while partitioning the disk. Please run Disk Utility to check and fix the error''. The only solution I have not tried is erasing/repairing the disk in the bios - The Mac has over 500gb of super important files on there and I nearly had a heart attack when I erased one of the external hard drives by accident but thankfully it was backed up in the internal documents. I can't try any repair solutions that risks deleting everything.

Another error is on the windows 8.1 bootable usb start up I cannot remember it exactly but there's an easy solution where you simply run cmd and clear disk, which once again I cannot do as it risks erasing everything. I give up bro :D thanks for trying unless you're a God and have some sort of solution. I have tried for 3 days now, every forum/video under the sun. My disks just doesn't want to partition I am guessing I just need to erase/repair all my disks in the startup terminal bios menu (if im saying that correctly) but I can't the Mac is not mine.

Apr 29, 2020 8:55 PM in response to taggy03

taggy03 wrote:

I'm getting this error on Bootcamp: ''Your disk could not be partitioned. An error occurred while partitioning the disk. Please run Disk Utility to check and fix the error''.

What is the current macOS version?

Another error is on the windows 8.1 bootable usb start up I cannot remember it exactly but there's an easy solution where you simply run cmd and clear disk, which once again I cannot do as it risks erasing everything.

You cannot use a USB Installer on a 2010 Mac.

I give up bro :D thanks for trying unless you're a God and have some sort of solution. I have tried for 3 days now, every forum/video under the sun. My disks just doesn't want to partition I am guessing I just need to erase/repair all my disks in the startup terminal bios menu (if im saying that correctly) but I can't the Mac is not mine.

Can you post the output of

diskutil list

from macOS Terminal?

Apr 30, 2020 12:26 AM in response to Loner T

MacOs high sierra

imacs-iMac:~ imac$ diskutil list 

/dev/disk0 (internal, physical):

#:            TYPE NAME          SIZE    IDENTIFIER

0:   GUID_partition_scheme            *120.0 GB  disk0

1:            EFI EFI           209.7 MB  disk0s1

2:     Apple_CoreStorage Machintosh HD      119.7 GB  disk0s2

3:         Apple_Boot Boot OS X        134.2 MB  disk0s3

/dev/disk1 (internal, physical):

0:   GUID_partition_scheme            *1.0 TB   disk1

1:            EFI EFI           209.7 MB  disk1s1

2:     Apple_CoreStorage Machintosh HD      999.3 GB  disk1s2

3:         Apple_Boot Recovery HD       650.0 MB  disk1s3

/dev/disk2 (internal, virtual):

0:         Apple_HFS Machintosh HD     +556.9 GB  disk2

Logical Volume on disk0s2, disk1s2

407C94D3-5AE3-4CC6-9D32-65AC93E071B9

Unencrypted Fusion Drive

/dev/disk3 (external, physical):

0:   GUID_partition_scheme            *750.2 GB  disk3

1:            EFI EFI           209.7 MB  disk3s1

2:    Microsoft Basic Data EXTERNAL 1       374.0 GB  disk3s2

3:         Apple_HFS External 2       375.5 GB  disk3s3

Bootcamp issues on imac pro high sierra mid 2010s

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.