Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple ID vs. email address

I have changed my email address for my Apple account, and confirmed the new address in the system several times. My old email address is still my Apple ID, but I was informed that this is not used as an email address, only a unique identified for the account. Today I received a receipt for iCloud subscription renewal at my old email address. The old email address is expected to be deactivated in 2 days.

Posted on Apr 29, 2020 8:54 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 29, 2020 9:04 AM

How exactly did you change your Apple ID?

Did you follow the steps here?: Change the email you use as your Apple ID - Apple Support

Sounds like you may have created a new Apple ID entirely with the new email rather than updating your existing Apple ID with a new email address.

Also, you will need to sign out of your devices and sign back in once you complete the update.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 29, 2020 9:04 AM in response to johnnie71

How exactly did you change your Apple ID?

Did you follow the steps here?: Change the email you use as your Apple ID - Apple Support

Sounds like you may have created a new Apple ID entirely with the new email rather than updating your existing Apple ID with a new email address.

Also, you will need to sign out of your devices and sign back in once you complete the update.

Apr 29, 2020 9:54 AM in response to johnnie71

If your Apple ID is your old email address, that is why you received the messages to that address. If that address is going to be deactivated in 2 days, I suggest you change it to a working email address using the steps in the article Phil posted. If your ID remains as a deactivated email address, you will stop receiving emails about your Apple ID. You don't have to change it, but it would be better if you did.

Apr 29, 2020 10:15 AM in response to johnnie71

What they told you is correct. The Apple ID will continue to work regardless of whether or not the email account is still valid, but if you want to receive the email notifications you need to change the email address being used as your Apple ID to a functional one.

You are not changing your Apple ID, you are updating the email address it is using. Updating the email address for the Apple ID does not change the Apple ID in and of itself. It retains all its purchases, and access to all its subscriptions and services, but provides a new functional email address, so notification emails can be received by you.

Changing the email address in the system, as in what account is set in the mail app or somewhere else, does not update your Apple ID.

If you wish to leave the email address as is for the Apple ID, then you can, but you won't receive notification email once it stops working.

The Apple ID will continue to work regardless. But there is really no need to keep a non functional email address attached to an Apple ID.

Apple ID vs. email address

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.