Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I format an external HD to use with my ipad

How do I format an external HD to use with my ipad if I don't have a mac pc? Can I do it with the ipad itself or is there an app I can download? Can I do it with itunes for Windows?

Posted on Apr 30, 2020 8:06 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 30, 2020 8:47 AM

APFS and HFS+ are Apple proprietary formats - not natively supported by Microsoft on PC. Similarly, NTFS is MS Proprietary- not supported by Apple. It is for this reason that the bast majority of non-platform specific third-party drives are formatted from manufacture as FAT32 or exFAT, these formats being generally universal.

Unfortunately, iPadOS does not provide tools to format or partition external drives. As such, you have to use an different computer, such as PC or Mac, to partition and format external drives.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 30, 2020 8:47 AM in response to John_D_W

APFS and HFS+ are Apple proprietary formats - not natively supported by Microsoft on PC. Similarly, NTFS is MS Proprietary- not supported by Apple. It is for this reason that the bast majority of non-platform specific third-party drives are formatted from manufacture as FAT32 or exFAT, these formats being generally universal.

Unfortunately, iPadOS does not provide tools to format or partition external drives. As such, you have to use an different computer, such as PC or Mac, to partition and format external drives.

How do I format an external HD to use with my ipad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.