Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Anyone else having Major Heat Issues with MacBook Pro 16?

I have a MacBook Pro 16 with i9 2.4Ghz, 64GB RAM 8TB SSD, AMD Radeon Pro 5500M 8GB

It has been randomly locking up while using it and every time I try to resume the laptop from a sleep mode or screensaver. It randomly locks when switching applications, it has locked in Safari, Chrome, Excel, Word and Mail. This has been getting progressively worse and I did do the various key commands to clear the ram etc. it made no difference it actually locked up 3 times that day alone.

As of today it is reaching temps of 95 Celsius with just having Facebook and 3 other tabs open in Safari, no video or anything and nothing else running!

If I run anything like Excel or even more demanding apps such as Final Cut Pro, FL Studio, or Logic Pro it immediately spikes into 60's then 70's then 80's Celsius. Today is the worst I have seen it with the least it was doing. Right above the Touch Bar on the outside of the case using a non contact temp gun I am getting temps of 120F

I also pulled up information on the i9 2,4Ghz processor "The Intel Core i9-9980HK is a high-end processor for laptops with eight cores based on the Coffee Lake architecture (2019 refresh, CFL-HR). The processor clocks at between 2.4 - 5 GHz and can execute up to sixteen threads simultaneously thanks to Hyper-Threading. The 5 GHz can only be reached using the "Thermal Velocity Boost" which allows one core to boost to 5 GHz (+100 MHz) as long as the CPU temperature is below 50°C."

This means with the temps I am getting its not boosting.

I am now having to send it in my brand new MacBook Pro to Apple but I 'm not convinced this is going to fix the issue as the small slots in the back where it vents out are partially obstructed by the screen when the screen is not at 90 degrees but tipped back it creates a more restricted path and forces the air down onto the desk.

Is this overheat issue just my MacBook Pro or are others having similar experiences?

MacBook Pro 16", macOS 10.15

Posted on Apr 30, 2020 1:42 PM

3 replies

May 7, 2020 9:10 AM in response to TheBouncer

I just got my Macbook back yesterday.

They ended up replacing:

Logic board which also replaces the SSD, RAM and Video Card.

Touch Sensor

Today while restoring data to the unit. I dragged and dropped the contents of the backed up copy of the music folder into the music folder on the Macbook Pro. Once the copy was complete I launched iTunes and saw that none of my files were there so I then imported the library, during library import ONLY.. NOTHING ELSE RUNNING THE CPU spiked to 96 Celsius and stayed between 90 - 96 the fans took awhile to kick in. The outside of the case above the touchbar was really hot to the touch and the touch sensor does not seem to be working again (I think the heat is damaging it).

The intel i9 Processor in this will NOT turbo boost to 5GHZ if it reaching these kind of temps- Intel Core i9-9980HK. "The 5 GHz can only be reached using the "Thermal Velocity Boost" which allows one core to boost to 5 GHz (+100 MHz) as long as the CPU temperature is below 50°C. " https://www.notebookcheck.net/9980HK-vs-9880H-vs-8950HK_11341_11348_9900.247596.0.html

If this is true then all that extra cost for 5GHZ speeds is useless as it will never achieve this based on the thermal issues.

Just sitting idle is stays in the 60 to 70 Celsius range for about 5 - 15 minutes before it settles out at 50 - 60 celsius

It is now being sent back in again, for a $6,500 computer this is unacceptable. This is a thermal design flaw.

Anyone else having Major Heat Issues with MacBook Pro 16?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.