Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Software malfunction since update

Wondering if anyone else with an iphone 11pro is having software malfunctions since updating? If so how do I fix?

iPhone 11 Pro, iOS 13

Posted on Apr 30, 2020 5:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 1, 2020 7:55 AM

There are a number of things that can cause the screen not to come back on when on a call. Are you using a headset for the call, or have you had the iPhone up to your ear? The screen is supposed to go dark when you have the phone up to your ear, but is supposed to light back up when you remove it. It does this by way of a proximity sensor near the earpiece. Some screen protectors and phone cases can obstruct that proximity sensor and it will not work well. I've seen a couple of people make comments about Messages behaving this way, but no further information provided. Since you have already turned the phone off and back on again, let's try the next step. That is a force restart of the iPhone. See the instructions here, Force restart iPhone - Apple Support

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 1, 2020 7:55 AM in response to Mandochug

There are a number of things that can cause the screen not to come back on when on a call. Are you using a headset for the call, or have you had the iPhone up to your ear? The screen is supposed to go dark when you have the phone up to your ear, but is supposed to light back up when you remove it. It does this by way of a proximity sensor near the earpiece. Some screen protectors and phone cases can obstruct that proximity sensor and it will not work well. I've seen a couple of people make comments about Messages behaving this way, but no further information provided. Since you have already turned the phone off and back on again, let's try the next step. That is a force restart of the iPhone. See the instructions here, Force restart iPhone - Apple Support

Apr 30, 2020 5:10 PM in response to Mandochug

What kind of software malfunctions? This is a user to user support forum and Apple does not participate here. You need to type out a question describing your problem and any troubleshooting steps you have taken to fix it, and wait for one of the volunteer users to read it and one to answer it.

Read this, Writing an effective Apple Support question.

Apr 30, 2020 6:32 PM in response to ChrisJ4203

Thanks Chris, sorry it wasnt so specific. I thought that it may have been a common issue since the last os update. Perhaps I am wrong...? The main issue is that while on a call, I cannot access the screen (it is black) to put on speakerphone or access other functions etc. If I press the button on the right side of the phone (the close screen button), the screen turns on for a brief second but still there is no function of the touchscreen. All other times, the screen is fine. .....Today, in addition to the above, I now have a blank page where my messages once were. The headings messages is still there but no message data. If I try to send a message, the history of the message is still there in the thread.

my phone says there are no new updates. All apps are on auto update. I have turned the phone on and off.

??

May 4, 2020 8:16 AM in response to Mandochug

You're welcome. There is a proximity sensor that handles the screen going off and on when putting the phone against your ear. A crack in the screen could, and sounds like it did, interfere with the sensor light getting through correctly. Imagine looking through a cracked glass or window at how it distorts your vision, and it would scatter the infrared light from the iPhone sensor. Glad you got it working.

Software malfunction since update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.