Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Playing Purchased Movies

Hi all.

Yesterday I had a problem with my Internet connection that lasted 2 days. It was a provider problem.

The router was, of course, unable to connect to the Internet, but my local WI-FI was correctly working in my home.

I have purchased and downloaded movies from iTunes; I have added all of them to my TV App on my MacBook

I also have AppleTV connected to my TV and, over WI-FI, I was able to access the MacBook library and browse all my movies.

The problem was that when I try to play one of them over wit-fi, it says that AppleTV can't play that content. It happened for all my movies.

Do I need an active internet connection even if I want to see them on my local wifi?

Is it not enough that I'm logged with the same account on all devices?

I was still able to play a movie locally on MacBook without internet connection, but not if I try to stream across my wi-fi on apple tv

Thanks

Apple TV 4K, tvOS 13

Posted on May 1, 2020 12:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 1, 2020 5:17 PM

Hello Squalo

I can understand wanting to watch your movies over your Apple TV device without needing access to the internet. When you're watching the movies purchased through iTunes, you have the option to download them for offline viewing onto your computer. However, the Apple TV does not currently offer the option to download movies to it for offline viewing.

You can recommend that this feature be added, from the Apple Product Feedback website.

Best regards!

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

May 1, 2020 5:17 PM in response to Squalo

Hello Squalo

I can understand wanting to watch your movies over your Apple TV device without needing access to the internet. When you're watching the movies purchased through iTunes, you have the option to download them for offline viewing onto your computer. However, the Apple TV does not currently offer the option to download movies to it for offline viewing.

You can recommend that this feature be added, from the Apple Product Feedback website.

Best regards!

Playing Purchased Movies

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.