Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to subscribe to shared iCloud photos album without an iPhone/iPad?

I received an emailed invitation to view a shared photo album on iCloud, but when I click the link on Windows OR mac, it says "Shared albums are not available for this device" and that I need an Iphone/iPad or mac with macOs at least 10.8.2

How do I subscribe without an iPhone? I did try on an older mac running El Capitan and the given software versions, but was unable to subscribe on it, possibly since I don't know the proper procedure to follow?

MacBook, OS X 10.11

Posted on May 1, 2020 5:00 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 1, 2020 6:43 AM

Did you open the link in a web browser? If the shared album has been shared as a website, you just need to open the link in any web browser:

View albums from iCloud that have been shared on the web - Apple Support

If the shared album has not been published as a web site, the invitation email should contain a "subscribe" button. Click it. Then the shared album should appear in the Photos.app. But the invitation needs to be sent to your iCloud AppleID. and you need to enable the shared albums in Photos for mac or iPhoto for mac, as described here:

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/guide/photos/pht884a8908/5.0/mac/10.15

"Subscribe to a shared album

When you accept an email invitation to a shared album, the new album appears below Shared Albums in the Photos sidebar.

• In the invitation email, click Subscribe, then click Join."

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

May 1, 2020 6:43 AM in response to Community User

Did you open the link in a web browser? If the shared album has been shared as a website, you just need to open the link in any web browser:

View albums from iCloud that have been shared on the web - Apple Support

If the shared album has not been published as a web site, the invitation email should contain a "subscribe" button. Click it. Then the shared album should appear in the Photos.app. But the invitation needs to be sent to your iCloud AppleID. and you need to enable the shared albums in Photos for mac or iPhoto for mac, as described here:

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/guide/photos/pht884a8908/5.0/mac/10.15

"Subscribe to a shared album

When you accept an email invitation to a shared album, the new album appears below Shared Albums in the Photos sidebar.

• In the invitation email, click Subscribe, then click Join."

How to subscribe to shared iCloud photos album without an iPhone/iPad?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.