Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad iMessage

I just got a new iPad and my phone number isn’t appearing as an option in the send and receive for iMessage. It’s only giving me the option to use my gmail or iCloud email.

iPad, iPadOS 13

Posted on May 1, 2020 6:12 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 1, 2020 6:23 AM

Have you an iPhone - as this is the “telephone number” used to send/receive SMS/MMS messages from the Messages App on iPad? Unless you have an iPhone, iMessage is limited to addressing messages to other Apple-users using their registered email addresses.

If you do have an iPhone, you need to explicitly enable Message Forwarding on the iPhone:

Settings > Messages > Message Forwarding - set to ON for devices in the device list.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

May 1, 2020 6:23 AM in response to Kkierys13

Have you an iPhone - as this is the “telephone number” used to send/receive SMS/MMS messages from the Messages App on iPad? Unless you have an iPhone, iMessage is limited to addressing messages to other Apple-users using their registered email addresses.

If you do have an iPhone, you need to explicitly enable Message Forwarding on the iPhone:

Settings > Messages > Message Forwarding - set to ON for devices in the device list.

iPad iMessage

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.