Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro will not connect to the Internet using Wi-Fi or ethernet

restarted several times MBP mid 2012 Catalina 10.15 2.9GHz i7 16GB RAM 500GB SSD(24.8 avail) New Spectrum modem Arris TG1682 (power cycled 30sec several times).

Network shows Ethernet and Wi-Fi both green with new password.

Background: Haven't run updates in a couple of months because no room on SSD so we've been dragging photos to the LaCie backup and now have 24.8GB available.

So, I got a Malware Bytes update and ran a scan and quarantined (isn't everybody?) the 5 adware

questions. Then the problems started. Spectrum gave up and let me go get a new modem and phone tech gave up after several reboots. I tried to un-quarantine the adware stuff but didn't help.

No other browsers will connect either (Brave, Opera, Firefox, Chrome, Safari)

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.15

Posted on May 1, 2020 9:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 2, 2020 8:46 AM

jklapp wrote:

Don’t know why SOCKS, never looked this deep before. Does that suggest a change I should make? Thanks

Adware/malware launch daemons can set SOCKS proxies without user participation.

(SOCKS is an Internet protocol that exchanges network packets between a client and server through a proxy server.)

If you suspect you have installed adware/malware—

Try running this trusted utility https://www.malwarebytes.com/mac/

Similar questions

21 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 2, 2020 8:46 AM in response to jklapp

jklapp wrote:

Don’t know why SOCKS, never looked this deep before. Does that suggest a change I should make? Thanks

Adware/malware launch daemons can set SOCKS proxies without user participation.

(SOCKS is an Internet protocol that exchanges network packets between a client and server through a proxy server.)

If you suspect you have installed adware/malware—

Try running this trusted utility https://www.malwarebytes.com/mac/

May 1, 2020 9:19 AM in response to jklapp

jklapp wrote:

restarted several times MBP mid 2012 Catalina 10.15 2.9GHz i7 16GB RAM 500GB SSD(24.8 avail) New Spectrum modem Arris TG1682 (power cycled 30sec several times).

Network shows Ethernet and Wi-Fi both green with new password.

Background: Haven't run updates in a couple of months because no room on SSD so we've been dragging photos to the LaCie backup and now have 24.8GB available.

So, I got a Malware Bytes update and ran a scan and quarantined (isn't everybody?) the 5 adware
questions. Then the problems started. Spectrum gave up and let me go get a new modem and phone tech gave up after several reboots. I tried to un-quarantine the adware stuff but didn't help.

No other browsers will connect either (Brave, Opera, Firefox, Chrome, Safari)

Call your ISP— you have to provision a new modem

May 1, 2020 12:24 PM in response to jklapp

Try restarting in Safe Mode (hold shift at startup) and see if the results are different. It does a five minute disk repair, then demands your username and password, even if you normally auto-login. Screen updates will be wonky and slow, because graphics acceleration is among those NOT loaded.

(Safe mode loads minimal set of Apple-only extensions. if results are different, it's something you added. )

MacBook Pro will not connect to the Internet using Wi-Fi or ethernet

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.