Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Restore to factory settings-MacBook Pro 13'' 2011

I pressed cmd+R and went through the procedure to erase the HD. The issue arrives when I need to reinstall the OS. I've put in my apple ID and password but it doesn't work (I double checked the password and tried to sign in on a different device to check, it works).

So, I'm stuck and I can't download the OS. Any ideas? Thank you

Posted on May 1, 2020 9:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 1, 2020 1:09 PM

Do you have two factor authentication enabled on your AppleID?

What version of the macOS installer are you accessing in Recovery Mode?

What version of macOS was last installed & running on this laptop before you erased it?

Try booting into Internet Recovery Mode using Command + Option + R to try and access the macOS 10.13 High Sierra online installer. If normal recovery mode booted to an older (or original) OS, then you may have problems downloading and installing. Sometimes accessing the latest installer will work.

Otherwise you can create a bootable macOS 10.13 High Sierra USB installer using these instructions if you have access to another Mac:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201372

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 1, 2020 1:09 PM in response to sampag

Do you have two factor authentication enabled on your AppleID?

What version of the macOS installer are you accessing in Recovery Mode?

What version of macOS was last installed & running on this laptop before you erased it?

Try booting into Internet Recovery Mode using Command + Option + R to try and access the macOS 10.13 High Sierra online installer. If normal recovery mode booted to an older (or original) OS, then you may have problems downloading and installing. Sometimes accessing the latest installer will work.

Otherwise you can create a bootable macOS 10.13 High Sierra USB installer using these instructions if you have access to another Mac:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201372

May 4, 2020 3:56 AM in response to HWTech

Hello HWTech and that you for your reply.

Yes U have a two factor verification, but I get an error (on the mac I'm trying to restore) after I do that.

OS X Yosemite

I will try your last option bootable USB

May 4, 2020 10:08 AM in response to sampag

sampag wrote:

Yes U have a two factor verification, but I get an error (on the mac I'm trying to restore) after I do that.

Does the installer allow you to enter your 2FA code?

If so, what is the exact error message you receive?

I will try your last option bootable USB

This is probably the best option as it may not ask for your AppleID.

Restore to factory settings-MacBook Pro 13'' 2011

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.