Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Excel keeps intermittently crashing in Mojave when trying to save certain files

issue summary is I had a file that I decided to play with pivotable with and everything was great and then suddenly after a few weeks of tweaking the data and the tables in the file, one day I tried to safe and

Excel would crash and I get the recovery window for unsaved files. I've tried direct saves, and save as.. and WHEN it happens, which is about 99% of the time since since then I get the same error which I'll post below. I've searched Microsoft communities and they of course point to SOMETH?ING other then their software and I do see that others have had similar (but not exact) issues so I'm hopeful someone can help. This happens with this file and copies of the file I have made on the 1% times where the saves work fine for 2-5 saves before it starts right back up again.

I it's completely unprotected, has no macros, but does have formulas and links and tables with filters enabled, dropdowns and the such, but nothing more complicated than that really.

MacBook Pro 15", macOS 10.14

Posted on May 1, 2020 5:50 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 6, 2020 4:24 PM

JamilMereck wrote:

issue summary is I had a file that I decided to play with pivotable with and everything was great and then suddenly after a few weeks of tweaking the data and the tables in the file, one day I tried to safe and
Excel would crash and I get the recovery window for unsaved files. I've tried direct saves, and save as.. and WHEN it happens, which is about 99% of the time since since then I get the same error which I'll post below. I've searched Microsoft communities and they of course point to SOMETH?ING other then their software and I do see that others have had similar (but not exact) issues so I'm hopeful someone can help. This happens with this file and copies of the file I have made on the 1% times where the saves work fine for 2-5 saves before it starts right back up again.

I it's completely unprotected, has no macros, but does have formulas and links and tables with filters enabled, dropdowns and the such, but nothing more complicated than that really.

<Excel crash error log.log>

I would verify your Excel software is up to date.

You can always reinstall the software to eliminate corruption.

Try duplicating the file and test the copy.

Try restoring that file previous to the issue using your Time Machine backup,

ref: Use Time Machine to restore deleted files or older files -

Apple Support https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT209152

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

May 6, 2020 4:24 PM in response to JamilMereck

JamilMereck wrote:

<Excel crash error log.log>

I would verify your Excel software is up to date.

You can always reinstall the software to eliminate corruption.

Try duplicating the file and test the copy.

Try restoring that file previous to the issue using your Time Machine backup,

ref: Use Time Machine to restore deleted files or older files -

Apple Support https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT209152

Excel keeps intermittently crashing in Mojave when trying to save certain files

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.