Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

screenshot

I'm trying to use the screenshot.....without the preview part.....when i uncheck show preview it says it can't write file to intended destination.....there has to be a way around this...???

Posted on May 2, 2020 12:38 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 2, 2020 1:22 PM

ah, may be this is my problem....i am trying to save the screenshot to an external drive....Can it not do that...? I chose save to downloads and it worked.....I am capturing a lot of screenshots......it's bird egg laying season , so i am saving a lot of the screenshots...if they, the screenshots are all going to be saved to the hard drive it will quickly fill up...is there a way to save screenshots to an external drive without the thumbnail preview....?

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 2, 2020 1:22 PM in response to Jardaberay1

ah, may be this is my problem....i am trying to save the screenshot to an external drive....Can it not do that...? I chose save to downloads and it worked.....I am capturing a lot of screenshots......it's bird egg laying season , so i am saving a lot of the screenshots...if they, the screenshots are all going to be saved to the hard drive it will quickly fill up...is there a way to save screenshots to an external drive without the thumbnail preview....?

May 2, 2020 12:54 PM in response to Jardaberay1

Thanks for replying so quickly...you are right i meant the thumbnail.....i have all three options unchecked under options.....show floating thumbnail.....remember last selection and show mouse pointer......when i do that it says it can't save the screenshot....I have no idea what i am doing...can you please explain this a way that my dumb self can understand.....??

May 2, 2020 1:23 PM in response to Jardaberay1

I don't mess around too much with these but here's how I have mine configured:

I save snaps to the Desktop.

I use the 5 sec. Timer just in case.

No mic.

I remember last used.

You can choose Other location in the top panel, if you wish to save in a specific location.

And, I use the choice of capturing a section of the screen. The rest you have to play with to see what fits your needs. I pretty much only use it for posting here, so my needs are fairly limited by what you can upload for here.

May 2, 2020 1:54 PM in response to Kappy

thanks for your help....I can't figure it out..i'm guessing it just won't save the screenshots without the thumbnail irritation to an external drive.....that is not what i need.......i'm going to mark this as solved......laughs..which means it's not, but i don't know what else to do about this..find an app the can take screeshots without a thumbnail preview and save them to an external drive.....somehow....anyway..thanks for trying..!!

screenshot

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.