Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Internet Recovery Works, Installing OS Doesn't

Good day.

I erased my Mac Air and I didn't back-up an OS in a USB. Internet recovery works for me, but whenever I install the base OS (Sierra), it always fails (error occured). I have tried this several times.

Then, I tried fixing the date since I found online that it might be why an error has been occuring, but it still doesn't install properly. I fixed the date and installed twice, still nothing. My internet connection is stable as well.

Here is what I see in my Disk Utility, if it helps.

Internal

>AppleAPFSMedia

- Macintosh HD

- Macintosh HD - Data

- Preboot (unmounted)

- Recovery (unmounted)

- VM (unmounted)

>Apple SSD SM01284G Media

Disk Images

>Apple disk image media

- OS X Base System

Posted on May 2, 2020 6:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 3, 2020 9:43 AM

You cannot reformat the startup drive unless you boot from the Recovery HD, if one is present and working. Otherwise, you need to boot from some other device, like a bootable USB flash drive installer. For the former:

Install El Capitan or Later from Scratch

If possible, back up your files.

1. Restart the computer. Immediately, at or before the chime, hold down the Command and R keys until the Apple logo and progress bar appear. Wait until the Utility Menu appears.
  2. Select Disk Utility from the Utility Menu and click on the Continue button.
  3. When Disk Utility loads select the target drive (out-dented entry w/type and size info) from the Device list.
  4. Click on the Erase button in Disk Utility's toolbar. A panel will drop down.
  5. Set the partition scheme to GUID.
  6. Set the Format type to APFS (SSDs only) or Mac OS Extended (Journaled.)
  7. Click on the Apply button, then wait for the Done button to activate and click on it.
  8. Quit Disk Utility and return to the Utility Menu.
  9. Select Install OS X and click on the Continue button.

Note that your computer has an SSD, not a HDD, so it needs to be formatted APFS, if you are using Catalina. To install Sierra, you need to boot from a bootable USB flash drive installer.

Bootable USB Installers for OS X Mavericks, Yosemite, El Capitan, and Sierra

First, review this introductory article: Create a bootable installer for macOS. Second, read this How To outline for creating a bootable macOS installer. Simply use the Terminal command by copying and pasting the command line for the version of macOS from the list below. You will need an 8GB or larger USB flash drive that has been partitioned and formatted for use with OS X as well as an installer for the desired macOS version that you have previously downloaded from the App Store.

Drive Partition and Format

1. Open Disk Utility in the Utilities' folder.
  2. After Disk Utility loads select the drive (out-dented entry with the w/type and size info) from the side list.
  3. Click on the Erase button in the Disk Utility toolbar. Name the drive, "MyVolume". <---- IMPORTANT!
  4. In the drop down panel set the partition scheme to GUID. Set the Format type to Mac OS Extended (Journaled.)
  5. Click on the Apply button and wait for the Done button to activate. When it does click on it.
  6. Quit Disk Utility.

Create Installer

Open the Terminal in the Utilities' folder. Paste that entire command line from below at the Terminal's prompt:

Command for macOS Sierra:

sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Sierra.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/MyVolume --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Sierra.app

Press RETURN. You will be asked for your admin password. It will not echo to the Terminal window. Then press RETURN again. Wait for the return of the Terminal prompt signifying the process has completed. It takes quite some time to finish. Be patient.

The bootable installer can be used to install the selected version of macOS. Shut the computer down. Insert your flash drive into a USB port. Start the computer like so:

Boot Using OPTION key

1. Restart the computer.
  2. Immediately after the chime press and hold down the  "OPTION" key.
  3. Release the key when the Boot Manager screen appears.
  4. Select the disk icon for the USB flash drive.
  5. Click on the arrow button under the disk icon.

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 3, 2020 9:43 AM in response to mich.elkaye

You cannot reformat the startup drive unless you boot from the Recovery HD, if one is present and working. Otherwise, you need to boot from some other device, like a bootable USB flash drive installer. For the former:

Install El Capitan or Later from Scratch

If possible, back up your files.

1. Restart the computer. Immediately, at or before the chime, hold down the Command and R keys until the Apple logo and progress bar appear. Wait until the Utility Menu appears.
  2. Select Disk Utility from the Utility Menu and click on the Continue button.
  3. When Disk Utility loads select the target drive (out-dented entry w/type and size info) from the Device list.
  4. Click on the Erase button in Disk Utility's toolbar. A panel will drop down.
  5. Set the partition scheme to GUID.
  6. Set the Format type to APFS (SSDs only) or Mac OS Extended (Journaled.)
  7. Click on the Apply button, then wait for the Done button to activate and click on it.
  8. Quit Disk Utility and return to the Utility Menu.
  9. Select Install OS X and click on the Continue button.

Note that your computer has an SSD, not a HDD, so it needs to be formatted APFS, if you are using Catalina. To install Sierra, you need to boot from a bootable USB flash drive installer.

Bootable USB Installers for OS X Mavericks, Yosemite, El Capitan, and Sierra

First, review this introductory article: Create a bootable installer for macOS. Second, read this How To outline for creating a bootable macOS installer. Simply use the Terminal command by copying and pasting the command line for the version of macOS from the list below. You will need an 8GB or larger USB flash drive that has been partitioned and formatted for use with OS X as well as an installer for the desired macOS version that you have previously downloaded from the App Store.

Drive Partition and Format

1. Open Disk Utility in the Utilities' folder.
  2. After Disk Utility loads select the drive (out-dented entry with the w/type and size info) from the side list.
  3. Click on the Erase button in the Disk Utility toolbar. Name the drive, "MyVolume". <---- IMPORTANT!
  4. In the drop down panel set the partition scheme to GUID. Set the Format type to Mac OS Extended (Journaled.)
  5. Click on the Apply button and wait for the Done button to activate. When it does click on it.
  6. Quit Disk Utility.

Create Installer

Open the Terminal in the Utilities' folder. Paste that entire command line from below at the Terminal's prompt:

Command for macOS Sierra:

sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Sierra.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/MyVolume --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Sierra.app

Press RETURN. You will be asked for your admin password. It will not echo to the Terminal window. Then press RETURN again. Wait for the return of the Terminal prompt signifying the process has completed. It takes quite some time to finish. Be patient.

The bootable installer can be used to install the selected version of macOS. Shut the computer down. Insert your flash drive into a USB port. Start the computer like so:

Boot Using OPTION key

1. Restart the computer.
  2. Immediately after the chime press and hold down the  "OPTION" key.
  3. Release the key when the Boot Manager screen appears.
  4. Select the disk icon for the USB flash drive.
  5. Click on the arrow button under the disk icon.

May 3, 2020 8:22 PM in response to mich.elkaye

If your Mac starts up to a question mark - Apple Support means try again. Do not touch the machine once the installation begins. The computer may reboot several times during the installation. That is normal. The minimum time for an installation is about 24 minutes. It takes longer depending upon the hardware. Remember that if you are installing High Sierra or previous version, then format Mac OS Extended, Journaled even if it's an SSD.

May 2, 2020 8:15 PM in response to mich.elkaye

Your computer is currently running Catalina which is why you cannot install Sierra until you wipe the drive first. For that you will need a bootable USB flash drive installer for Sierra. Your SSD is formatted with APFS for Catalina. However, Sierra cannot read or write that format, so the drive must be erased and reformatted using Mac OS Extended, Journaled.

May 2, 2020 9:11 PM in response to mich.elkaye

I tried First Aid also and it says that it found corruption that needs to be repaired.

The details:

Checking prerequisites

Checking the partition list

Checking the partition map size

Checking for an EFI system partition

Checking the EFI system partition's size

Checking the EFI system partition's file system

Problems were found with the partition map which might prevent booting

Operation successful

May 3, 2020 8:17 PM in response to Kappy

Unfortunately, I really cannot acquire a bootable USB installer at this time.

I must thank you again for your response.

I have tried the first set of steps, installing an OS from scratch. I erased my Apple APFS Media and followed the next steps. It finished downloading the OS and did not show the window "An error has occured..."

My laptop after, went on black screen (I think it restarted) and then it shows the flashing file folder with a question mark in the middle.

I was a little optimistic after the installation went okay and there was no error, but now I'm not sure. Is it possible to install the OS without the bootable USB installer?

Internet Recovery Works, Installing OS Doesn't

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.