Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

CPU Usage High

I ran the EtreCheck Apr. 30, 2020 report how do I cleanup the CPU High Usage and bring it down? My iMac is on for at least 12 hours a day then goes into shut down at night.

Posted on May 3, 2020 5:52 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 3, 2020 11:36 AM

frank_the_snake_master_01 wrote:

I am also cleaning all my bookmarks out that I saved to many now. I wish there was a way to clear all the ones I want to delete without doing these 1 at a time

You don't need to delete one at time, here's how:

Go to Safari menu > Bookmarks > Edit Bookmarks. Choose a bookmark and hold the Shift key as you as you click on other consecutive books you want to delete. Then press Delete.

If the bookmarks aren't consecutive you can hold the Command key to skip over some in the list you do not want to delete as you choose others you do want to delete.

As I said I wouldn't worry about the report of CPU usage.

Nice weather you're having, same temperature here.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 3, 2020 11:36 AM in response to DODGE01CHALLENGERSRT01_01

frank_the_snake_master_01 wrote:

I am also cleaning all my bookmarks out that I saved to many now. I wish there was a way to clear all the ones I want to delete without doing these 1 at a time

You don't need to delete one at time, here's how:

Go to Safari menu > Bookmarks > Edit Bookmarks. Choose a bookmark and hold the Shift key as you as you click on other consecutive books you want to delete. Then press Delete.

If the bookmarks aren't consecutive you can hold the Command key to skip over some in the list you do not want to delete as you choose others you do want to delete.

As I said I wouldn't worry about the report of CPU usage.

Nice weather you're having, same temperature here.

May 3, 2020 8:35 AM in response to DODGE01CHALLENGERSRT01_01

Here are my observations/suggestions based on the EtreCheck report:

1. Under the "Configuration Files" section - A sysctl.conf file was present that was not expected by macOS. This file may have been created by an app and is no longer used. I see that you are using Malwarebytes, so if this file was placed there by malware, that should have taken care of it.
  2. Under the "Virtual Memory Information" section - Note that Swap Used value of 8 MB. This indicates that your iMac does not have enough RAM memory to handle multiple apps and requires that it swaps those apps to the HDD. This will significantly slow down their overall performance. The potential solution is to add more RAM.
  3. Under the Diagnostics Information section - The warmd process crashed. This process is used by macOS to preload certain other processes & apps, typically at startup. One or more of those caused the warmd process to stop (crash).
  4. "signpost_reporter" is a process that app developers use to "report back" primarily to Apple. At the time of the report, that process was very busy and was using significant CPU processing power.

May 3, 2020 11:16 AM in response to macjack

macjack,

My friend how is it going 73 in northeast here and thanks for the info appreciate it. I am also cleaning all my bookmarks out that I saved to many now. I wish there was a way to clear all the ones I want to delete without doing these 1 at a time/ This is a pain to do been on it for a while now. You have to right click on the one but if you try to do more it does not work do you know of a way maybe this will help my CPU? wHAT DO YOU THINK.

Frank

CPU Usage High

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.