Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Calibrate the compass on iPhone 7?

Should the compass in an iPhone 7 require calibration? Sometimes it points off in the wrong direction.

Posted on May 3, 2020 6:15 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 4, 2020 1:40 PM

That's helpful. I was astonished to see how far off the compass was (90 degrees out of whack) some times. But now it's correct. I wonder if I was carrying something magnetic when I was having trouble. (This is grist for more experimentation.) Thanks.

5 replies

May 3, 2020 7:06 PM in response to AntonioEsteban

Hello AntonioEsteban and welcome to Apple Support Communities.

I see you have a question about compass calibration on an iPhone.

Use the compass on iPhone - Apple Support

"Important: The accuracy of the compass can be affected by magnetic or environmental interference; even the magnets in the iPhone EarPods can cause a deviation. Use the digital compass only for basic navigation assistance. Don’t rely on it to determine precise location, proximity, distance, or direction."

Cheers.

May 4, 2020 3:51 AM in response to chuck_3rd

Hi Alex, I appreciate the speedy response, but what you wrote doesn't respond to my question, nor does it provide helpful advice. I think you're trying to say:

-------

The Compass app in the iPhone 7 does not need any calibration.

Whenever you use the Compass, be sure to avoid external magnets because they can affect the reading. As the article Use the compass on iPhone - Apple Support states:

"Important: The accuracy of the compass can be affected by magnetic or environmental interference; even the magnets in the iPhone EarPods can cause a deviation. Use the digital compass only for basic navigation assistance. Don’t rely on it to determine precise location, proximity, distance, or direction."

-----------

Is this a good summary of the answer? Many thanks.

May 4, 2020 10:15 AM in response to AntonioEsteban

Hi AntonioEsteban.

That is close. There is a calibration setting but all it does is toggle calibration off and on. Calibration should be on by default. If you want to toggle it off and back on go to Settings > Privacy > Location Services scroll all the way to the bottom where you'll see System Services. The toggle for Compass Calibration is there.

Cheers.

Calibrate the compass on iPhone 7?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.