Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad Screen

My 6 year old dropped my iPad today and the screen went kind of dim on one side. I’ve seen many posts suggesting to give it a few smacks on the back, tried it but didn’t work. Any other suggestions please? Anyone that has had this happen before and successfully repaired it?

iPad Air 2, iPadOS 13

Posted on May 3, 2020 2:25 PM

Question marked as Best reply
4 replies

May 3, 2020 4:26 PM in response to Nicnav95

You screen backlighting has partially failed - this now being a hardware fault requiring replacement of the screen.

Apple don’t generally offer iPad repairs, but might offer you a chargeable exchange for an identical refurbished model. The cost of an out-of-warranty exchange is often quoted within this Support Community to be about 60% of the “as new” cost. Given the age of the iPad Air2, you might consider this cost to be uneconomic - the cost of repair will certainly considerably exceed the trade-in value of a fully working equivalent iPad.

May 3, 2020 5:05 PM in response to Nicnav95

Sorry, but it’s impossible to predict how, or if, the effects of the sustained damage will worsen. I would council against deliberate impacts to the back of the iPad - per your previous indication of attempts to improve matters - as doing so may make the fault considerably worse.

If you haven’t already done so, if you intend to continue use of the iPad and have assurance of your local data remaining accessible in the event of total failure - you would be well advised to enable iCloud backups of your iPad. Should the iPad fail, you data can be restored to a replacement iPad.

Settings > [Your Name / AppleID] > iCloud > iCloud Backup - set to ON

iPad Screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.