Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Magic Keyboard and Pages and iOS on an iPad Pro 11 inch, Model year 2018

I don’t know why but when I try to type on the new Magic Keyboard on my iPad Pro 11 inch, 2018 model year I find that the keyboard strokes don’t match what I expect from the keyboard. For example, when I type a word and wish to move to the next (as I am doing now on the Magic Keyboard in this support message) instead of moving the cursor a space to the beginning of where the next word is to be typed, it instead goes up to the field labeled DOCUMENT. There are several other keyboard conventions which seem to work differently in Pages then in Notes (which appears to follow the normal keyboard convention or this support field which does as well) so can you please instruct me how to correct this problem by changing the “settings” in Pages which apparently causes this anomaly.

Posted on May 3, 2020 10:45 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 7, 2020 2:24 AM

Hi, I was having the same problem on all apple productivity apps.

I was able to fix it by doing this :

Setting >Accessibility > Keyboards > full Keyboard Access > commands

remove “space bar” from the “activate” field.

i hope it works for you 🤞

8 replies

May 7, 2020 9:45 AM in response to emanuel24

Emanuel, that was a good suggestion. I followed it and now I can type normally in Pages. What a strange default setting to encounter. Two AppleCare Techs and their respective supervisors did NOT know this and the case is currently in Apple Engineering to figure out after analyzing my data and me creating a screen video of the activity. Still waiting from them.

But you nailed it on the head, immediately. Thanks for taking the time to share the information with me so I can now use the iPad and Magic Keyboard without that BIG problem. I knew it was a software setting somewhere and not a hardware problem as the keyboard worked normally in other text programs like Notes, Text Edit, Mail etc. Thanks again!

May 4, 2020 10:58 AM in response to dennis from brigantine

dennis from brigantine wrote : For example, when I type a word and wish to move to the next (as I am doing now on the Magic Keyboard in this support message) instead of moving the cursor a space to the beginning of where the next word is to be typed, it instead goes up to the field labeled DOCUMENT.

Are you saying that when you hit the space bar in Pages it doesn't make a space but moves the cursor away from the text?

Can you provide other examples?

Magic Keyboard and Pages and iOS on an iPad Pro 11 inch, Model year 2018

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.