Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Factory reset from HighSierra

Has anyone been able to do this?

iMac 21.5", macOS 10.13

Posted on May 4, 2020 3:45 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 4, 2020 3:58 AM

If you are trying to set up your Mac as it came new, see: What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your Mac - Apple Support

If you mean something else, please explain.

13 replies

May 8, 2020 8:31 AM in response to D from SF

ok. well there's an easy solution to just wiping the hard drive if that's all you want to do. There's a product I've used for years that is NIST certified to wipe a drive clean. You can download a copy of WIPEDRIVE from White Canyon Software. Go to:

https://whitecanyon.com/home-products

Use the promotion code HOMEFREE to download or pay just shipping cost to get a USB stick loaded with it. The product is free, but pay just a few bucks to ship it.

The copy I've had for years is based on DR-Dos and is self booting. It will find your drive (s) and let you pick which you want to wipe and what algorithm you want to use. The one I used most times is the DOD model. Plan to let it run overnight as it does take quite awhile on even a solid state drive, much less a spinner, and especially if it's multi gig or terabyte.

Hope that helps you out. Perhaps with a totally blank drive you can partition it the way you want and reload your software.

Steve

Factory reset from HighSierra

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.