Newsroom Update

New features come to Apple services this fall. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Numbers not SUMMING

Hey all

I am trying to SUM the values in a column, but I am not getting a running total.

In the column I wish to get my values from, each cell has been populated with a number through a series of IF statements to produce a certain value depending on another cells results. I am looking to SUM those values that the IF statements generate at the bottom of my table, but I'm only getting a 0 in the cell I am trying to put the SUM formula in.

I have made the bottom row a footer row (or at least I think I have) and I have tried to change the cells that I want to SUM to number in Date Format, but the cells just return to automatic.

Hopefully the following Screenshot makes it bit clearer as to what I am saying.

This is the formula that populates the cell with various values, based upon the Pop-Up menu choices in the previous column.

And lastly this is the SUM formula I have attempted to use to SUM the column values.

iMac with Retina 5K display, macOS 10.15

Posted on May 4, 2020 5:22 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 4, 2020 5:43 AM

SUM does not sum text values, even if they are numeric. Your formula has quotes around the numbers, which turns them into text. Remove all those quotes. For instance, instead of "3" use plain old 3 .

The usual way to tell if your cell has text vs a number, if you have not applied left or right justification to the cell manually, is to see on which side of the cell the data appears. Numbers appear on the right side, text on the left.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 4, 2020 5:43 AM in response to Bidge

SUM does not sum text values, even if they are numeric. Your formula has quotes around the numbers, which turns them into text. Remove all those quotes. For instance, instead of "3" use plain old 3 .

The usual way to tell if your cell has text vs a number, if you have not applied left or right justification to the cell manually, is to see on which side of the cell the data appears. Numbers appear on the right side, text on the left.

Numbers not SUMMING

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.