Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Resting energy not showing when not wearing watch

Hello,

My understanding was that the Apple Watch would calculate resting energy expenditure on its own, however if I take my watch off and charge it overnight, it does not calculate the calories that I burned. Here's a screenshot showing that when I took my watch off at 9:30 last night, it stopped tracking calories, and this morning I have zero calories burned when I wake up. CanI get my watch to track calories even when it's charging, besides having to wear it?

Apple Watch

Posted on May 4, 2020 5:27 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 4, 2020 8:15 PM

Hello randi236, 

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities. From your message I can see that you're concerned about the data that your Apple Watch is recording. 

For the Apple Watch to record any data, resting or active, you'll need to be wearing it. Any resting calories that are recorded, are those which take place while you're wearing your Apple Watch. 

If you have any data which isn't recording while you're wearing the Apple Watch, take a look at the information under, "A better fit means better readings," from this article: Wearing your Apple Watch.

Once data is recorded it will then appear in the Activity app. This article will provide you with more information: Use the Activity app on your Apple Watch

All the best.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

May 4, 2020 8:15 PM in response to randi236

Hello randi236, 

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities. From your message I can see that you're concerned about the data that your Apple Watch is recording. 

For the Apple Watch to record any data, resting or active, you'll need to be wearing it. Any resting calories that are recorded, are those which take place while you're wearing your Apple Watch. 

If you have any data which isn't recording while you're wearing the Apple Watch, take a look at the information under, "A better fit means better readings," from this article: Wearing your Apple Watch.

Once data is recorded it will then appear in the Activity app. This article will provide you with more information: Use the Activity app on your Apple Watch

All the best.

Resting energy not showing when not wearing watch

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.