Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

High Sierra missing Apple Hardware test

Mid 2012 MBP. I bought it used. formatted it to wipe all data, then installed High Sierra from a USB installer built on my other mac. So it's nice and clean. But I have a problem.

When I first received the machine, it was running Catalina. I tried to run Apple Hardware Test (tried every combination, D, CMD-D, OPT-D, CMD-OPT-D) but it would not run. I read that this can go missing when a hard drive is replaced. This machine has an SSD fitted by previous owner, maybe that explains it.

I researched for hours as I really want to run a full hardware test to check the machine over before I commit to keeping it. I have no problems so it's probably fine, nicely looked after and no damage etc. But Still I would like to run AHT if poss. I read that AHT "should" be reinstalled after a fresh OS install, but I have again tried all the boot options (D, cmd D etc) and I can't get AHT to activate. All I can get is either normal login, or internet recovery.

Does anyone know how to go about getting AHT installed on this machine again so I can run it? Failing that, and recommendations for free tests I can download/run, which will check the machine over as thoroughly as AHT?

thanks

MacBook

Posted on May 5, 2020 2:33 AM

Similar questions

5 replies

May 5, 2020 4:52 AM in response to joeyjohnson

Well I have given it my all! No good.

I created the bootable installer using the commands given, adjusted where needed. I did it twice. Once on MBP and once on my iMac. I definitely have the correct file downloaded and it did make a bootable USB drive, but when i boot from it i get a flash of code (white on black) and it doesn't work, doesn't prompt for AHT at all.

I then tried the finder way, I showed hidden files/folders, found the system/library/coreservices folder, and the .diagnostics folder is missing, but I can't create a new one to put the downloaded files in there, as I assume System Integrity Protection is preventing the creation of a folder there. Totally stumped now. So if anyone know of a good hardware test I can run instead of AHT, I am all ears :)

I wonder why it didn't put this back when I did a fresh OS install of High Sierra. Wondering if there is another kind of restore I can do, like putting it back to FACTORY condition, and maybe that would restore the AHT diags etc. Any ideas?

thanks

May 5, 2020 8:37 AM in response to joeyjohnson

So I decided I would try to create a bootable USB of the Apple Hardware Test to check for myself.

After a bit of fiddling around with their Terminal instructions I got it to work.

Could boot from the USB and ran the test, took over 1 and a half hours.

It is of extreme importance you download the correct AHT for your exact model of mac.

you can disable the System Integrity Protection by booting in to your Recovery HD,

once booted up click on Utilities on the menubar and select Terminal.

Enter the text

csrutil disable

press Return.

Restart your mac, drop the .diagnostics file into the System/Library/CoreServices folder.

Now Restart your mac and hold down the D key or Command- D

See if it works now.

To enable System Integrity Protection, boot back to the Recovery HD

and enter the text,

csrutil enable

press Return,

Restart.

You could try this, https://binaryfruit.com/drivedx

this gives your disk a comprehensive health check

it is free the first fifteen days

then you can decide if you want to buy it.

There is also this little app from Micromat,

it is free although after installing it you will be asked

for your name and e-mail, you will be sent a registration

code. https://www.micromat.com/products/maccheck

May 7, 2020 12:00 PM in response to Eau Rouge

Sorry I missed this, in middle of setting up new machine! What a generous post, thank you VERY much for all that testing and effort explaining. I can't do it right now as I have clones and migrates and all sorts going on, but as soon as I can I will run through this because I really want the AHT all working like it should on any Mac i own.

Thank you again, great effort :)

High Sierra missing Apple Hardware test

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.