Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Keyboard misinterpretation on Macbook

I have English and Vietnamese keyboard on my Macbook. Yesterday, French keyboard was added. Unfortunately, now the Vietnamese keyboard is affected by the French one. I switch to Vietnamese keyboard, but it still performs French keyboard instead. For example, when French keyboard mode is on, key A performs letter Q and vice versa. Then, when Vietnamese keyboard mode is on, key A still performs letter Q, it does not return to letter A as usual.

Could you please what problem it is and how to fix it? Thank you for your help.

MacBook Pro 13”, macOS 10.15

Posted on May 5, 2020 5:54 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 6, 2020 5:30 AM

Pi241 wrote:

Could you please tell me what the matter with French and Vietnamese keyboards here is?

With certain Asian language keyboards, Apple tries to accommodate the fact that some users may prefer azerty or qwertz instead of qwerty. It does this by having the keyboard change layout according to the last ordinary (English, French, German) keyboard which was used. I was familiar with this behavior for Chinese, but until your posting did not realize it was used for Vietnamese too.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 6, 2020 5:30 AM in response to Pi241

Pi241 wrote:

Could you please tell me what the matter with French and Vietnamese keyboards here is?

With certain Asian language keyboards, Apple tries to accommodate the fact that some users may prefer azerty or qwertz instead of qwerty. It does this by having the keyboard change layout according to the last ordinary (English, French, German) keyboard which was used. I was familiar with this behavior for Chinese, but until your posting did not realize it was used for Vietnamese too.

Keyboard misinterpretation on Macbook

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.