Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to remove cookies and clear browser data

I can't seem to clear my browsing history or clear my cookies. The Clear History button at the bottom of the history drop down menu is greyed out and doesn't work. Neither does the Private Window option. I know that Screen Time can cause this but I DO have Unrestricted access checked though I have other Content and Privacy restrictions turned on. I have this problem on BOTH my devices (iPhone and MacBook) which suggests a problem with my settings or a bug in the system.

In Safari -> Preferences -> Privacy -> Manage website data I have over two hundred cookies of websites and when I click Remove all -> Remove now, it looks like I clicked the button (the 'are you sure' pop up disappears) but none of the sites disappear from the list and are still there when I look again five minutes later. I'm not sure whether this is related to being unable to clear browser history or not.

I've had this problem for several months now. I'm running Safari 13.1 and I'd like to know how to fix this or if there are alternative ways to clear cookies and history. Thanks!

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.15

Posted on May 5, 2020 8:30 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 6, 2020 12:50 PM

You are welcome. Do a backup, preferably 2 backups on 2 separate drives.

Quit the application.

Go to Finder and select your user/home folder. With that Finder window as the front window, either select Finder/View/Show View options or go command - J.  When the View options opens, check ’Show Library Folder’. That should make your user library folder visible in your user/home folder.  Select Library. Then go to Safari.  Move the files that start with History to your desktop.

Restart the computer, open the application, and test. If it works okay, delete the files from the desktop.

If the application is the same, return the files to where you got it from, overwriting the newer one.

This may require a reset of some other Preferences.

Thanks to leonie for some information contained in this.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 6, 2020 12:50 PM in response to TheaProgram

You are welcome. Do a backup, preferably 2 backups on 2 separate drives.

Quit the application.

Go to Finder and select your user/home folder. With that Finder window as the front window, either select Finder/View/Show View options or go command - J.  When the View options opens, check ’Show Library Folder’. That should make your user library folder visible in your user/home folder.  Select Library. Then go to Safari.  Move the files that start with History to your desktop.

Restart the computer, open the application, and test. If it works okay, delete the files from the desktop.

If the application is the same, return the files to where you got it from, overwriting the newer one.

This may require a reset of some other Preferences.

Thanks to leonie for some information contained in this.

Unable to remove cookies and clear browser data

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.