Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Messages all deleted, yet iCloud still shows 5GB used in storage for messages..

I have deleted all my messages, and attachments. Then I backed up my iPhone. It still shows that I have 5GB messages stored in iCloud. How do you delete those?? I thought that if you deleted all messages, and then did an iCloud back up, it would delete it or replace it with the current (3 messages) on my phone. Thank you in advance.

I paid for more iCloud storage today, just to make sure I could backup my iPhone since I am getting a new one on Thursday, but I don't want all these texts to continue to transfer to a new device, and truly I didn't want to buy more space anyways.

Hope this makes sense!

iPhone 8, iOS 13

Posted on May 5, 2020 6:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 5, 2020 9:14 PM

If you turn off iCloud on your phone, it won't sync stuff to other devices through the cloud. You can sync to a Mac by plugging it in or through wi-fi.

To transfer stuff to your new iPhone, follow the advice given here:Set up your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

6 replies

May 5, 2020 7:31 PM in response to Cunnla

If I don't care to back up to the cloud for my messages (which I do not) will they still sync between the devices if I turn it off? And when I back up my iphone, when I get my new one on Thursday it will mirror whatever was last backed up on my current iphone? Example: All of my pictures that are on my phone, messages, etc will transfer to the new device?

Thank you for your help. Its been awhile since I have gotten a new iphone and I usually just have them set it up with me. I just don't want to screw it up, but I don't care much to utilize the cloud.

Messages all deleted, yet iCloud still shows 5GB used in storage for messages..

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.