Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV HD not working, can't reset

Getting no response from Apple TV HD when trying to reset/restore. White light blinks continuously (blink, blink, and the rapid blink-blink, repeat)

Apple TV HD, tvOS 13

Posted on May 6, 2020 12:25 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 6, 2020 12:45 PM

If the status light on the Apple TV flashes continuously (and it is not updating, which would show on screen), then it may be failing to start up properly. The remedy is to re-install the system software through a computer, as described on Restore your Apple TV - Apple Support.

5 replies

May 6, 2020 3:11 PM in response to John Franson

Disconnect it from all cables. Then connect USB to the Apple TV, then connect the other end to a computer, then power it as described. In that order. That should prevent it from trying to start up.

Read the caveat at the bottom of the page, that the USB cable should support (generic) data transfer – it should not be a charging cable.

Then it depends on whether the iMac is running macOS 10.15 or earlier (recognize in Finder or in iTunes).

May 6, 2020 4:49 PM in response to Urquhart1244

Thank you very much for your thoughts.

I am not, however, succeeding:

-USB A to C cable is for charging and data sync (Insignia brand; NS-MCAB4 appears to be the model #).

-Mac OS 10.15.4

-Finder shows that iPhone is attached, for instance. It is not detecting the Apple TV HD after following the steps exactly.

I just tried the same steps on my MacBook Pro. Same results - no luck.

The Apple TV is still blinking. It seems to be alive, but maybe it is just kaput.

Apple TV HD not working, can't reset

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.