Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac is Running Slow...

I'm seeing my iMac being really unresponsive and I don't know why. I have very few non-Apple apps that I use. The spinning beachball pops up quite often. I do use multiple tabs with my Apple apps and Finder windows and just moving between tabs is sluggish. When I have that 'Force Quit' window open showing my running apps, I'll often see that "not responding" message, but the app will eventually 'kick back in and start working.

This is a 21.5" Mac, 2017-8GB of RAM; 2.3GHz Intel Core i5. the EtreCheck report. show's a corrupted 'host' file. Could that be a problem????

Thanks all.

Posted on May 6, 2020 12:37 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 6, 2020 1:38 PM

Malwarebytes is a trusted adware/malware app we do recommend occasionally. Should not be an issue.

If you have an external boot clone— boot off that and test. This will bypass your internal drive. It may be informative.

<disk0 - APPLE HDD HTS541010A9E632 1.00 TB (Mechanical - 5400 RPM) Internal SATA 3 Gigabit Serial ATA

No fusion drive(?) 5400RPM rotational HD is a slow boat to begin with and maybe failing(?) formatted as apfs

To trouble shoot further you can:

—Try a SafeBoot https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201262

Takes noticeable longer to get to the login screen, does a 5-15 minute disk repair before it fully boots up, and certain system caches get cleared and rebuilt, including dynamic loader cache, etc. Login and test. Reboot and test as caches get rebuilt.

In Safe mode third party system modifications and system accelerations are disabled, it removes malware, etc hampering smooth operation, however a reboot will put it back to normal mode.

This test will tell you if third party interference; extensions etc are not loaded in safe boot mode.

—Test issue in another user (or guest user) account  https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204443

This will tell you if it a universal issue or isolated to your user/admin account. 

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 6, 2020 1:38 PM in response to Russss...

Malwarebytes is a trusted adware/malware app we do recommend occasionally. Should not be an issue.

If you have an external boot clone— boot off that and test. This will bypass your internal drive. It may be informative.

<disk0 - APPLE HDD HTS541010A9E632 1.00 TB (Mechanical - 5400 RPM) Internal SATA 3 Gigabit Serial ATA

No fusion drive(?) 5400RPM rotational HD is a slow boat to begin with and maybe failing(?) formatted as apfs

To trouble shoot further you can:

—Try a SafeBoot https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201262

Takes noticeable longer to get to the login screen, does a 5-15 minute disk repair before it fully boots up, and certain system caches get cleared and rebuilt, including dynamic loader cache, etc. Login and test. Reboot and test as caches get rebuilt.

In Safe mode third party system modifications and system accelerations are disabled, it removes malware, etc hampering smooth operation, however a reboot will put it back to normal mode.

This test will tell you if third party interference; extensions etc are not loaded in safe boot mode.

—Test issue in another user (or guest user) account  https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204443

This will tell you if it a universal issue or isolated to your user/admin account. 

May 6, 2020 3:56 PM in response to Russss...

Russss... wrote:

Thanks Leroy. Ugh, I have really been luck over the years with HDs not failing. Thanks again for the heads-up.

If you do not have a boot clone as a backup know is an excellent opportunity to add it to your backup strategy.

Booting from this external copy of your drive—will give you a good idea where the issue is by comparison.

ref Boot clone https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-10081

May 6, 2020 1:46 PM in response to Russss...

Etrecheck's formatting got scrambled during posting so it is hard to evaluate. I can see s few things that are at play.

1️⃣ Restart

System Software:

macOS Mojave 10.14.6 (18G4032) Time since boot: About 17 days

With a limited amount of RAM that cannot be easily increased, it behooves you to restart the computer eery 4-5 days. Restarting clears out temp files, some logs and generally freshens up the computer.

2️⃣ Yours is a "very" entry-level version:

iMac Model: iMac18,1

2.3 GHz Intel Core i5 (i5-7360U) CPU: 2-core

the next step up would have gained you a 3.0Ghz 4-core processor and a 39 percent overall performance score increase for US$200.

3️⃣ The hard drive is slow, common to many 21.5-inch iMac made from 2012 on. We have a 2011 entry-level iMac that posted drive scores almost twice the read/write scores that yours is reporting. While an internal solid state drive (SSD) replacing the slow rotational drive is the best of all words, the difficulty and profession labor cost to open and service a modern iMac make the investment questionable for a low-spec model. The fix that has helped many is to obtain an external drive rated USB3 that has an SSD inside rated at 6GBps, and set it up as your boot volume. That would increase your read/write speed from the ~60MB/s to about 400MB/s and can be done at home.

4️⃣ There may be software interferences at play but the scrambled formatting make that part of EtreCheck hard to read. Please repost using these instrucitons:

Select “Report" from the left-hand pane (scroll down to the bottom of that pane to find):

When its report displays, click the "Share Report" icon from EtreCheck’s toolbar and then "Copy report” from the resulting dropdown.

⚠️ Please DO NOT highlight the text in the report before using Etrecheck’s “Copy report” command—that will garble the formatting and make the report slower and harder to evaluate.

Then you the "Additional Text" function you used before.

May 6, 2020 2:14 PM in response to Russss...

Russss... wrote:

<etrecheck report repost.log>

Much easier to read thx to Allan Jones.

<Runtime: 5:24> a little longer than we like to see A properly functioning drive should complete in ~ 3 minutes.

Launch Daemons:

< [Running] com.cleverfiles.cfbackd.plist (? 65468217 - installed 2017-02-26)> Never heard of this before(?)

https://www.pcmag.com/reviews/cleverfiles-disk-drill-pro-for-mac

Disk Drill Pro and APFS may not get along so well— The SafeBoot would be informative here.

I am still leaning towards a failing mechanical HD. Like expectancy ~3-5 yrs however drives can fail at anytime.

May 6, 2020 2:46 PM in response to Russss...

/etc/hosts - Count: 0 - Corrupt!

That might affect DNS lookups

What is this?

[Running] com.cleverfiles.cfbackd.plist (? 65468217  - installed 2017-02-26)

What is this?

[Other] mega.mac.megaupdater.plist (? 0  - installed 2019-10-23)

Are you using 3rd party file systems via

FUSE (Benjamin Fleischer - installed 2018-08-21)

or are you using FUSE for something else?

May 6, 2020 2:57 PM in response to BobHarris

Bob,

from the previous post it would appear this Clever files thing is a Disk Drill Pro file. I don't remember using Disk Drill on this computer. I assume it's OK to delete since I do not have Disk Drill on this computer.

The Mega Updater is a cloud service thing that I don't use anymore. I deleted it.

Sadly, I do not remember what this FUSE thing is nor when it was added to my computer. I do not know if I'm using FUSE for anything. Was does FUSE do??

I am curious about that corrupt hosts file. Is that one of those files that recreates itself when you delete it????

Thank you for replying.

iMac is Running Slow...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.