Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Deleting Imported media in iMovie

I imported files into iMovie, but even after making smaller files, so my movie isn't so larger, it seems that iMovie keeps using the older files, so I can't seem to make a small size movie. How can delete the older large files, so iMovie recognizes the smaller files that I am trying to import? If it involves deleting projects that use this media, I am fine with that. I am just trying to make a file that is smaller that approximately 4GBs. Any help would be welcomes, since I have looked around an can find nothing that will help me delete the import media/photos.

Thank you

iMac 27", macOS 10.13

Posted on May 6, 2020 1:02 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 7, 2020 8:09 AM

You would export the slideshow to your desktop as a movie file. Then open an iCloud email and drag it into the email and send it like you would any other email.

Regarding the question in your initial post, the way to adjust the size of a photo is to open it in the Preview app on your Mac and click on Tools/Adjust Size. Then you reduce the largest dimension shown in the dimension box. The dpi is relevant primarily for printing out photos, not for digital reproduction.

-- Rich

Similar questions

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 7, 2020 8:09 AM in response to rcollbroth

You would export the slideshow to your desktop as a movie file. Then open an iCloud email and drag it into the email and send it like you would any other email.

Regarding the question in your initial post, the way to adjust the size of a photo is to open it in the Preview app on your Mac and click on Tools/Adjust Size. Then you reduce the largest dimension shown in the dimension box. The dpi is relevant primarily for printing out photos, not for digital reproduction.

-- Rich

May 6, 2020 7:08 PM in response to Rich839

Hi Rich,

I have iMovie version 10.1.12. I am using Photoshop to resize the images. I reduced I kept the files at 300 dpi and reduced the files to a more manageable size. When I import the media, the old files are kept and only a few the reduced files are imported. I even changed the names, but still had the same problem. I did learn how delete the media after looking around a bit on the Apple site. I am thinking the only way to use the smaller files is to delete all the large files and start from scratch. It is actually a slide show that will be shown at a photograph exhibit in Chania, Greece, on the Island of Crete. In order to send the file, I am trying to reduce it to 2GB rather than over 3GB. Any help you can give me or thoughts will be helpful. Thanks.

Ron

May 7, 2020 9:40 AM in response to Rich839

Thank you, Rich. The file seems to have gone okay with no warning signs. I am hopeful. I will just have to wait until I hear from the gallery in Athens. Yesterday when I tried to drag and drop the movie in Apple Mail, everything seems to go awry and my mail started doing weird things. I think that was why I was reluctant to just drag and drop the video into an iCloud email.

You were a great help and I couldn't have done it without you. Now if they don't need any changes to what I have sent, I will be even happier. Usually I am pretty good at figuring things out, but there are days that suddenly I can't get my act together.

I will let you know if the file makes it.

Ron

May 7, 2020 10:07 AM in response to rcollbroth

Keep your fingers crossed. Sometimes hard to predict how emails will work in other countries. I will be interested in your results.

One thing about attachements sent via iCloud is that they are only stored in the Cloud for 30 days. So your recipients should download the attachment to their hard drive upon receipt, or in any event before 30 days.

-- Rich

May 9, 2020 8:00 AM in response to Rich839

Hi Rich,

I don’t think it did. I checked my sent file yesterday and it wasn’t there. I managed to make small file in iMovie by not making the video the best resolution - only high resolution. I am now waiting for feedback, since they may want changes. I can’t figure out why it didn’t go through my iCloud account. Gremlins? I really appreciate all your help. Once I get a response, I will let you know the result.

Ron

May 10, 2020 10:51 AM in response to Rich839

Hi Rich,

I haven't heard from Greece yet as I am waiting for them to let me know if there are any changes that they need.

I did send the file to my usual e-mail from my Mac email. It took some time, but I did get it. Who knows I might have been impatient when I sent it to Greece. I am really not sure. Anyway I will let you know what happens after I hear from them.

Anyway it did work that I could send it via my iCloud account.

Ron

Deleting Imported media in iMovie

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.