Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

transferring data to a new iMac

I want to transfer all the data from my old iMac circa 2016 to my new iMac. Ive got the assistant up and running using an ethernet connection with 5e cable but it says it will take 62 hours, which I don't have. the old iMac only supports thunderbolt 2.0 and I can't seem to find any such thunderbolt 2 to thunderbolt 3 adapter locally. is there some way to speed up the data transfer so it could be done in under 12 hours?

Posted on May 6, 2020 3:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 6, 2020 4:24 PM

The fastest (and most reliable) method is to connect the old iMacs Time Machine or Bootable Clone backup External Hard Disk directly to the new machine using a USB cable, then launch Migration Assistant on the new iMac and the migration should complete in about 2 hours. Using Ethernet is unreliable and using Wi-Fi should never be used.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 6, 2020 4:24 PM in response to msbsask

The fastest (and most reliable) method is to connect the old iMacs Time Machine or Bootable Clone backup External Hard Disk directly to the new machine using a USB cable, then launch Migration Assistant on the new iMac and the migration should complete in about 2 hours. Using Ethernet is unreliable and using Wi-Fi should never be used.

transferring data to a new iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.