Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My Mac Book Pro trackpad moves erratically since I update to Catalina

The trackpad moves the cursor erratically by itself, regardless if the mouse is connected or not, making the machine useless.

The issue resolves it self after several resets, but returns as the machine is restarted.

Due to the quarantine, the Apple stores are closed and need to fix it by my self.

Posted on May 7, 2020 1:56 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 7, 2020 3:30 PM

You do not say what exact Mac /model /year /size /retina /TouchBar is this ?

Try resetting NVRAM/PRAM http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1379

2 replies

May 7, 2020 7:33 PM in response to gabriel386

Check to see if you notice any swelling of the battery which could be pressing against the Trackpad. If you see the Bottom Case starting to separate or the Trackpad being higher than normal then you likely have a swollen battery. Also if the laptop doesn't sit flat on the table indicates a swelling battery. If the battery is swelling you need to power off the laptop immediately and disconnect the charger.

Otherwise the Trackpad may be defective and needs replaced.

In some regions it may be possible to mail the laptop into Apple for the repair. Click on the "Contact Support" link at the top right of this page to see your options.

My Mac Book Pro trackpad moves erratically since I update to Catalina

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.