Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Backlit Keys Won’t Turn off on Magic Keyboard for iPad Pro

So I’ve had the new Magic Keyboard for my 12.9 iPad Pro for about a week and I've noticed that sometimes the backlight on the keyboard doesn’t go out, even after the screen is locked and off. This is a slight (though constant) drain on the battery. Anyone else experiencing this issue, and if so, any idea on how to fix it?

iPad Pro, iPadOS 13

Posted on May 7, 2020 6:54 PM

11 replies

Jun 26, 2020 8:10 PM in response to Drew D13

I wouldn’t return the keyboard, as I’ve talked to a friend who did just that, and the replacement did had the same problem. I’ve noticed the issue usually occurs when I’m charging, or when I disconnect the charger. I’m pretty sure Apple will come up with a software fix in the future. In the meantime, if you notice it happening, just pop the iPad off the keyboard and then back on, as this always solves the issue for me. Hope that helps!

Jun 26, 2020 11:27 PM in response to MikeyCast

so since my last replacement Apple continued to send me replacement units as they insisted! In total I have had 3 replacements (those that come in a plain white box) and then they sent me a store replacement that mirrored the original box. I can confirm every one of them had the same backlit issue, yes I did notice it did tend to keep the backlit on after charge and detaching and reattaching was only a temporary fix as it would still randomly fail to turn off the backlit after a few days (without recharging). The brightness level on the backlit when it’s doing this i noticed was on the lowest level so you may not even notice it.

So It’s surely got to be a software issue considering the number of units I have had all with the same issue!

Backlit Keys Won’t Turn off on Magic Keyboard for iPad Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.