Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple Music today announced the release of its 100 Best Albums of all time, a list crafted by Apple Music’s experts alongside industry professionals. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Music - Catalina

After a Catalina upgrade on my MacBook Pro, apple Music does not recognise my playlists and I continually get the message "the music library file cannot be saved. a file was specified instead of a folder." Checking in preferences the Music Media folder location is indeed a folder NOT a file. Any ideas how to clear it please?

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.14

Posted on May 8, 2020 3:03 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 8, 2020 3:14 AM

I think I just answered my own question! Always pays to read what others have written first. Somehow the .itl file location became corrupted after the Catalina upgrade - I found this in an earlier response to a similar query:

macOS 10.15 Catalina

If you're missing expected content in the Music or TV apps after upgrading to Catalina try holding down option as you start either app and browse to the location of your previous iTunes Library to attempt the upgrade again.

This worked for me - I located the old iTunes library (in an iTunes media folder) and my playlists have been recovered. Thanks to Turingtest2 for the tip.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 8, 2020 3:14 AM in response to Baseman2

I think I just answered my own question! Always pays to read what others have written first. Somehow the .itl file location became corrupted after the Catalina upgrade - I found this in an earlier response to a similar query:

macOS 10.15 Catalina

If you're missing expected content in the Music or TV apps after upgrading to Catalina try holding down option as you start either app and browse to the location of your previous iTunes Library to attempt the upgrade again.

This worked for me - I located the old iTunes library (in an iTunes media folder) and my playlists have been recovered. Thanks to Turingtest2 for the tip.

Apple Music - Catalina

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.