Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV 4K + Bluetooth Speaker + A/V Receiver Audio Issue

I have a new Apple TV 4K unit that is connected to my Pioneer SC-1523-K A/V home theater receiver via a high speed HDMI cable. The video and audio signals go from the Apple TV 4K unit through the receiver to my Samsung Q60 TV and my home theater speakers connected to the A/V receiver and it all works properly. I recently purchased an Ultimate Ears Megablast Bluetooth speaker so that I could have a wireless speaker that I could move around to different places in the house while being connected to the Apple TV 4K and listening to whatever audio was playing on the Apple TV 4K. I successfully paired the UE Megablast bluetooth speaker to the Apple TV 4K and when I select that speaker to be used on the Apple TV 4K, it plays the audio properly. However, what it also does when I select the Bluetooth speaker on the Apple TV 4K is that it turns off the audio signal going to my A/V receive so the audio coming out of the Apple TV 4K only goes to the bluetooth speaker and not the A/V receiver. This behavior prevents me from listening to the same Apple TV 4K audio content on my home theater system while also listening to that same content on my bluetooth speaker. I purchased the Apple TV 4K unit with the expectation that I could have a wireless bluetooth speaker that I could move around the house while also continuing to play the same audio through my home theater system. Is this the way it is supposed to work or is there some sort of setting that needs to be made in order to play the same audio content on both the bluetooth speaker and A/V system at the same time? It was my expectation that the audio signal to the A/V receiver would not shut off when a bluetooth speaker is connected so if this is the way it is supposed to work, then I spent $200 on an Apple TV 4K unit that was a waste of money. Any help for this issue would be appreciated...

Apple TV 4K

Posted on May 8, 2020 6:35 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 8, 2020 7:26 AM

Your assumptions differ from reality.

• Connecting bluetooth speakers directly to the Apple TV will cut off the audio for HDMI. This is intended behavior.
  • To have multi-room audio with wireless speakers and using Apple technology, then the speakers need to be Wi-Fi (not bluetooth) connected, and the speakers need to be AirPlay compatible.

AirPlay system requirements - Apple Support

How to AirPlay audio - Apple Support

Add and manage TVs and speakers in the Home app - Apple Support

AirPlay 2-enabled speakers - Home Accessories - Apple

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

May 8, 2020 7:26 AM in response to Tkebrobu78

Your assumptions differ from reality.

• Connecting bluetooth speakers directly to the Apple TV will cut off the audio for HDMI. This is intended behavior.
  • To have multi-room audio with wireless speakers and using Apple technology, then the speakers need to be Wi-Fi (not bluetooth) connected, and the speakers need to be AirPlay compatible.

AirPlay system requirements - Apple Support

How to AirPlay audio - Apple Support

Add and manage TVs and speakers in the Home app - Apple Support

AirPlay 2-enabled speakers - Home Accessories - Apple

Apple TV 4K + Bluetooth Speaker + A/V Receiver Audio Issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.