Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari would let me download PDFs

I realize there is a word issue because some people think download means displaying the document in the browser, but I mean actually downloading the document itself to my computer.

Safari refuses to allow me to do this on certain sites (banking sites). I done all the allow this on the prefs but still no deal. I can’t drag it off. It puts the PDF on a separate tab and apparently that is supposed to be enought and I should be happy with that.

Why can’t I actually download the PDF file.?

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on May 8, 2020 12:12 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 8, 2020 12:37 PM

This actually depends on how the website chooses to present the PDF to the browser. In technical terms, it's to do with the Content-Disposition HTTP header. Nonetheless, you can still download a PDF that's showing in Safari by choosing File > Save As from the menu or pressing Command–S. Again depending on the website, holding Option (Alt) while clicking a link to a PDF can also force it to download.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 8, 2020 12:37 PM in response to Jean Shea

This actually depends on how the website chooses to present the PDF to the browser. In technical terms, it's to do with the Content-Disposition HTTP header. Nonetheless, you can still download a PDF that's showing in Safari by choosing File > Save As from the menu or pressing Command–S. Again depending on the website, holding Option (Alt) while clicking a link to a PDF can also force it to download.

Safari would let me download PDFs

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.