Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Overwriting a folder

Sometimes I use an external drive to back up a folder from my Mac.

I drag the folder I want to back up to the window of the external drive in order to overwrite and update any changes I may have made.

After last time I did so, I wasn't sure I did it in the right direction and the created / modified dates of the folders are not accurate for either of them.

Does anyone know how to find out when a folder was copied onto an external drive?

Many thanks!

MacBook

Posted on May 8, 2020 1:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 8, 2020 1:44 PM

Does anyone know how to find out when a folder was copied onto an external drive?

macOS does not record that information. The only information may be the modification time of the enclosing folder or volume, but any change to them would alter that modification date / time.

Similar questions

5 replies

May 8, 2020 8:48 PM in response to PleaseHelpMyMacPlease

I don't recommend this method of "backing up". It wold be better to make another copy. Yes it uses more space, but at least you don't accidentally overwrite anything.

Better yet you should implement a proper backup solution so you don't have to manually copy the files all the time. There are several ways to do this and Apple provides Time Machine as a built-in option. Carbon Copy Cloner is another option as a paid third party app. Of course there are other options as well, but these two are very popular.

Overwriting a folder

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.