Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Permissions for backing up Library folder

Since Time Machine has a bad habit of deciding on its own to trash all its backups and start over, I try to keep another backup in addition to TM, by backing up Applications, Library, and Users.

The Library folder is a tough nut; the backup attempts routinely crash because of Permissions issues.

Seems to me the fix is to change the Permissions to at least Read Only, but as an Administrator, I don't have permission to change the Permissions.

None of this makes any sense to me. What possible harm can come from reading/copying these files, mostly plists? What am I missing?

MacBook

Posted on May 8, 2020 5:23 PM

Similar questions

13 replies

May 13, 2020 8:27 AM in response to Barney-15E

Thanks, Barney-15E. Just saw this this AM; sorry for the delay.

Trying to copy the Users/user/Library folder. The Permissions do allow read only. I have a query posted to the NAS users forum, asking for help from that end, but no response so far.

This stuff shouldn't be this complicated! It's a simple project on which I have literally spent weeks, fighting little things like this.

May 13, 2020 9:15 AM in response to whartonw3

Home folder items generally are set to be no access to others, and read to the particular user.

What user is running the backup software? It should run with that user's permissions, so shouldn't run into problems.

If you are trying to back up other user's folders, you might need to run the backup from an admin account or root, if you can make it do that. The backup program should be able to elevate its permissions to backup whatever you need.

An administrator should be able to change the permissions in the home folder, so I don't understand why you are having a problem.

Do you have the backup program in the Full Disk Access Privacy area? Security & Privacy System Prefs > Privacy.

May 13, 2020 5:53 PM in response to Barney-15E

Thanks, Barney-15E.

The backup is from a NAS unit, NetGear ReadyNAS. The job pulls the files from the computer to the NAS; the files are not being pushed to the NAS by an application on the computer. So, there's not a Mac User running the backup software. I am an Admin on the NAS, but I'm not sure who the Mac sees as the user.

I have tried other backup solutions, e.g., Acronis, SuperDuper!, and Carbon Copy Cloner, plus, of course, Time Machine.

TM would be perfect if I could depend on it to not randomly throw up its hands and start over with no warning.

Acronis and SuperDuper! don't yield backup folders that I can directly access and manipulate with Finder, or, at least, I couldn't figure out a way to do that.

I like the output, functionality, of Carbon Copy Cloner, but it doesn't seem to like the NAS unit; it fails frequently, and when it gets to End of Job, it almost always is with errors and/or warnings; I was spending all my time chasing those down.

The NAS routine fails with Permission-denied errors. I've been able to get around some of these by setting R&W permissions for Everyone, but I'm not comfortable doing that, plus, even that doesn't always work -- I guess because Everyone is really not the user the Mac sees.

Thanks for your interest.

ww

May 13, 2020 6:06 PM in response to whartonw3

the files are not being pushed to the NAS by an application on the computer.

Some "user" process is given access to the files. It isn't magically "getting" the files. Whatever it is has to connect as some "user."

TM would be perfect if I could depend on it to not randomly throw up its hands and start over with no warning.

That's probably because you are using the unsupported NAS AFP protocol. Unless it is relatively new (or they pushed out an update), it is using an AFP hack to support Time Machine. They used a hack because Apple has never licensed AFP. Time Machine over the AFP hack has never been supported.

With Catalina (maybe just before), Apple released the Time Machine over SMB specification which is supported by Apple. According to their website, the ReadyNAS 6.9.3 supports TM over SMB.

May 14, 2020 8:57 AM in response to Barney-15E

Hey, Barney. Thanks for your message.

Some "user" process is given access to the files. It isn't magically "getting" the files. Whatever it is has to connect as some "user."

Good point, one I had not considered. How can I figure out who that user is?

That's probably because you are using the unsupported NAS AFP protocol. Unless it is relatively new (or they pushed out an update), it is using an AFP hack to support Time Machine. They used a hack because Apple has never licensed AFP. Time Machine over the AFP hack has never been supported.

I don't Time-Machine to the NAS. My bad feelings about TM came from using external HDDs attached directly to the computers, and waking up to messages saying something like, 'your TM backups are unusable, and have been erased', without a by-your-leave, or any opportunity to try to fix the problem, or to try to save what was good. This didn't happen often, but it only takes once to lose many years of backup; I just don't trust TM with important things like financial docs, photographs, etc.

For 2 desktops, I TM to directly attached external drives, but am trying to use the NAS for a belt-and-suspenders second copy. I've a third copy with a cloud backup service, CrashPlan.

Only the paranoid survive

-Andy Grove, 1996

For a couple of laptops, which don't reliably always have external drives attached, I don't even try to TM.

Having said all this, I really like the concept/idea of TM. It would be a perfect solution if you could rely on it to keep on truckin'.

Stay safe.

May 14, 2020 9:16 AM in response to whartonw3

Never had a single problem with Time Machine short of trying out using an APFS drive back when APFS was new.

My Mini hosts a drive for my Laptops to back up to wirelessly, and even those don't have any problems.

If it says it needs to start a new backup, it is because the backup is corrupted. Recover what you think you need, then erase the drive and start again. There is no guarantee you could recover anything, later, if it was saved. If it keeps happening, get a new drive. That one is bad mojo.

Also, you are going to lose "years" of backups if you have removed the files from your Mac. Time Machine isn't archival. It will eventually, when running out of space, delete any backups of files that no longer reside on your Mac. So, really, starting over isn't a huge deal unless you stop using your backup disk when it gets so full that it might delete older backups. The only major loss would be the versions of documents you have changed over the years. Of course, those versions would eventually age out, also.

May 14, 2020 2:23 PM in response to Barney-15E

Hey, Barney-15E.

I like your idea of hosting TM drives on your Mini for the laptops. I can do that. You are using one external drive on the Mini to host TMs for more than one laptop?

I don't remember the circumstances if the time last a TM bailed out on me. Could well have been an early APFS issue. Based on your confidence, I am going to rely on TM more.

Your earlier post prompted me to take a closer look at question of who the NAS is telling the Mac it is. The NAS is 'logging on' with my credentials, but I have no idea what application it is using to pull the files from the Mac. I think I'll try poking around in the Activity Monitor to see what I see.

Barney, you are a huge help. Simply engaging in the back-and-forth has helped sharpen my thinking and point me in helpful directions. Your specific suggestions and observations are an added bonus. Thank you so much.

May 14, 2020 3:16 PM in response to whartonw3

I like your idea of hosting TM drives on your Mini for the laptops. I can do that. You are using one external drive on the Mini to host TMs for more than one laptop?

Yep. The two laptops are only 256 GB SSDs, and the drive is 3TB.

When Time Machine backs up over a network, it creates a sparse bundle disk image for each computer. The two backups are completely isolated. They each have plenty of room to backup.

Permissions for backing up Library folder

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.