Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Install Windows 7 on macoS High Sierra

Device: MacBook Pro 8,2 (Late 2011)

Operating System: macOS High Sierra

Security Update: 2020-002

Boot Camp: Version 6.1.0 (6067.60.1)

Context:

A couple of weeks ago I decided it was time to do a clean install - from scratch - of my macOS High Sierra and Windows 7 operating systems installed on my MacBook, after a year of use. I used this video as a guide to install macOS High Sierra:

The installation was correct and without errors, after that I installed the updates from the App Store following the steps of the support website for the installation of Windows 7 from macOS High Sierra with Boot Camp: https://support.apple.com/es-es/HT205016

Issue

Following the above process, Boot Camp created the installation drive, the disk was partitioned during the process and when the computer restarted, this error appeared:

No bootable device -- insert boot disk and press any key

I have been searching for ways to install Windows 7, without success. Among them:

• Try 5 different USB 2.0 drives (HP, Sandisk, Kingston): Since in a video they think that the problem with this black screen warning is due to USB.

• Install Windows 7 creating the boot from Windows on a PC with the Rufus application and start from the Mac boot screen (without using Boot Camp). It did not work, although if it recognized the usb with Windows 7 it was frozen when clicked, however with the ISO of Windows 10 following the same procedure if it installed correctly, but the version of my MacBook does not have the complete drivers for Windows 10 in addition to which in my opinion is quite slow compared to Windows 7.

I have done the same installation process with BCA to install Windows 8, 8.1 and 10 and have got the same result.

No bootable device -- insert boot disk and press any key

MacBook Pro 15", macOS 10.15

Posted on May 9, 2020 1:30 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 9, 2020 5:06 PM

If you have a W7 ISO, then

• Use a reputable DVD-R SL blank disc and insert it into the Optical drive
  • Right-click on the ISO and choose Burn
  • Expand the Burn dialog, click on Verify and Mount
  • Choose the lowest Burn rate to avoid block errors
  • Click on Burn
  • Verify your DVD
  • You need to choose Windows, if you decide to use the Alt/Option key. Do not use EFI Boot.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 9, 2020 5:06 PM in response to zxvsfvsdv

If you have a W7 ISO, then

• Use a reputable DVD-R SL blank disc and insert it into the Optical drive
  • Right-click on the ISO and choose Burn
  • Expand the Burn dialog, click on Verify and Mount
  • Choose the lowest Burn rate to avoid block errors
  • Click on Burn
  • Verify your DVD
  • You need to choose Windows, if you decide to use the Alt/Option key. Do not use EFI Boot.

May 9, 2020 7:20 AM in response to zxvsfvsdv

Your MacBook Pro (15-inch, Late 2011) - Technical Specifications, has a built-in Optical drive.

Storage

• 500GB or 750GB 5400-rpm Serial ATA hard drive; optional 750GB 5400-rpm hard drive, 750GB 7200-rpm hard drive, or 128GB, 256GB, or 512GB solid-state drive6
  • 8x slot-loading SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
  • Maximum write: 8x DVD-R, DVD+R; 4x DVD-R DL (double layer), DVD+R DL (double layer), DVD-RW, DVD+RW; 24x CD-R; 10x CD-RW
  • Maximum read: 8x DVD-R, DVD+R, DVD-ROM; 6x DVD-ROM (double layer DVD-9), DVD-R DL (double layer), DVD+R DL (double layer), DVD-RW, DVD+RW; 24x CD

On your model, a physical DVD is required to to install W7/W8.1. W10 is not officially supported. Your BC Assistant should have two options - Download and Install. Modifying the Bootcamp Info.plist to enable the USB creating option leads to too many issues.

Install Windows 7 on macoS High Sierra

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.